Can a dog and chickens safely coexist in a small backyard?

Pics
Some dogs perhaps - mine which is part labrador is perfectly fine with my chooks, but a beagle - no way, remember they are used in fox hunting, and at two years old, it will be well set in its ways. I think I'd give up that idea, or find a more effective way of constraining your chooks all the time.

Our Chug was already here when we got the chickens and he’s been fine from day one. No interest in chasing them. We adopted a one year old Shepherd mix about a year ago and he wanted to chase them badly. He would chase, but once they stopped running for whatever reason (as we were trying to stop him) he would just look at them and sometimes boop them with his paw, as if to say “Why did you stop playing?!” It was obviously very stressful for the chickens, and I was able to train him out of that behavior and he eventually stopped chasing them. The seven chickens free range our fenced backyard, as do the dogs when we let them out to do their business.

That’s our dogs, though...I would be very careful in choosing any new dogs. I would think a puppy that could be easily trained out of that behavior if it popped up, or an older dog that has no history of prey instinct or chasing small animals. Good luck!

1BF3B63D-6221-4AED-A01D-15FE11919981.jpeg

So my dilemma is this. I really want to adopt a dog, but I own three pet chickens I am very attached to. I worry that no matter how careful I am, any dog I adopt is going to eventually get loose and eat my chickens. Do you think dog and chicken can coexist in a small backyard? I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions.

Here's some background on our situation. Our yard is a small, fenced lot (less than .25 acres). My chickens have a good size run, but frequently free-range the backyard when I am around to watch them. The dog I am looking to adopt is a 2 year old beagle. My husband (also very attached to the chickens) tells me to adopt a cat instead, just to be safe. I like cats but I LOVE dogs. Can a dog be trained to tolerate chickens?

So my dilemma is this. I really want to adopt a dog, but I own three pet chickens I am very attached to. I worry that no matter how careful I am, any dog I adopt is going to eventually get loose and eat my chickens. Do you think dog and chicken can coexist in a small backyard? I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions.

Here's some background on our situation. Our yard is a small, fenced lot (less than .25 acres). My chickens have a good size run, but frequently free-range the backyard when I am around to watch them. The dog I am looking to adopt is a 2 year old beagle. My husband (also very attached to the chickens) tells me to adopt a cat instead, just to be safe. I like cats but I LOVE dogs. Can a dog be trained to tolerate chickens?

I have dogs and cat that are fine with my chickens. My housemate has a dog part something that is used for hunting. He chases them scaring them but then stops and leaves them alone. I still don't really trust him but as long as he leaves them alone and I'm there I take a chance because I feel he kinda keeps hawks away. Still....anyway it depends on the dog really. Beagle no way. Anyway. Something with gentle demeanor. My "bug" (part Boston bull/part pug) is afraid of them. Same with my poodle/terror and chihuahua mixes. Your husband might like a bug. Tough little dogs. Man's dog. Looks kinda like a mini pit bull.😊 20201213_201347.jpg

Attachments

• 20201216_042832.jpg
    20201216_042832.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 1
Would like to show video of hunter mix dog but won't upload. Shows him teasing hen and her chasing him.

I have a GSD (German Shepard) 4 years with my chooks, no loss yet...but I still feel I'm on "borrowed time" we never leave her with them when we are away, it has happened when we did not close them up but to date all is fine.

This is my 4th GSD and I always do a lot of obedience train plus some agility and tracking. I say this because boredom can be a problem, your dog needs to be entertained by you, other wise he/she will make her own fun.

Introduced at 7 weeks, always with me when feeding, collecting eggs and generally at every opportunity to socialize. I have used an e-collar to correct an unwanted action, never
needed more than twice, then use the vib/ buzz as a correction with LOTS of praise and fun time.

I did not go through prey drive training for protection this time so as to reduce the catch/hold instinct. This will not work with every dog, nothing will work with some dogs. We are blessed with our dog. She now free-ranges with the chooks including babies and brings them in when they range too far, she's always on the look-out for Eagles, Hawks, Mongoose and other dogs.

It can be done...it's not easy but it's worth the effort. It will not work with an adult dog...of any breed. It may work for a time but you WILL come home to dead chooks and not the dogs fault, your asking too much.

Get the dog! As with any new introduction make it a slow one with supervision. The dog needs obedience training ASAP whether from you, or with help from your local pet shop. A trained dog is a happy dog. You want to be your pups focus, the apple of his eye.
Ive lived everyday of my life on a farm with all species. Dogs were trained to leave livestock alone, unless it was their job to herd, at which point it was only done by command. Adult dogs can be trained, of every breed. There are lots of old school tricks to persuade a stubborn dog to leave other animals alone IF it seems to be a problem.
You sound responsible, by asking first. As a responsible owner you, will make it all work!

I was concerned about getting chickens as I thought my dogs would not get along with them, but as it turns out my dogs are actually afraid of the chickens! I have two chihuahua mixes and they and the chickens pretty much stay out of each other’s way when they’re all in the yard. Wishing you the best in whatever you decide!

Back
Top Bottom