Can a dog and chickens safely coexist in a small backyard?

Pics
I have two dogs and free range turkeys. The dogs one Mountain Cur and one Pitbull. The Cur was two when we got chickens and he doesn’t and never had interest in them. The Pit was a few months old when we got him and I caught him pinning down a turkey twice. Both times he was very mightily corrected and now doesn’t mess with them. Granted the turkeys are much larger than the chickens who don’t free range but on the rare occasion when a chicken gets out because my 10 yo isn’t paying attention during feeding time the dogs just look at it with curiosity. I have experience with beagles and would NEVER leave a beagle alone with chickens. They have a very high prey drive and are not smart. (Before you hate on me about talking bad about beagles look it up their lack of intelligence has been well documented in many studies) Beagles are going to do what they do and that is hunt. Rabbits, chickens, whatever thing gets into that little dumb head of theirs.
Just remember dumb can be fixed, stupid is forever.

My Aussie is fine with the flock. My German shorthair on the other hand can’t help himself. Natural hunter. So depends on the dog and the breed.

I got my 6 chicks when they were 2-3 days old. My 115 pound Borzoi dog was obsessed with them. I rarely saw such an intense look in his eyes. I kept them apart but in their second week I accidentally left his gate open. When I got home there was one less chick and only the smallest drop of blood in the living room. He only ate one but I felt awful. As they grew up he gradually lost interest. They moved outside and his obsession changed from them to their poop and food. He now goes out to the yard with them and completely ignores them but I still keep them mostly apart and a keen eye on him. The last time I forgot he was back there I found him in the coop eating their food with the chickens milling around him. Dogs CAN learn but they will always be dogs. If you know your dog well you can come to an agreement of sorts. I will never completely trust him with the chickens but I know if he has a choice and there are no other variables he will eat their food instead of them.

That is a YES. I have 3 rescue dogs and my chickens free range during the day. It took some discipline lessons on both the dogs and cats, but now all co-exist together. Of course, once a rooster gets hold of a dog, that sometimes cures that one from even getting close to them. the cats have a healthy respect for them too.

So my dilemma is this. I really want to adopt a dog, but I own three pet chickens I am very attached to. I worry that no matter how careful I am, any dog I adopt is going to eventually get loose and eat my chickens. Do you think dog and chicken can coexist in a small backyard? I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions.

Here's some background on our situation. Our yard is a small, fenced lot (less than .25 acres). My chickens have a good size run, but frequently free-range the backyard when I am around to watch them. The dog I am looking to adopt is a 2 year old beagle. My husband (also very attached to the chickens) tells me to adopt a cat instead, just to be safe. I like cats but I LOVE dogs. Can a dog be trained to tolerate chickens?

So my dilemma is this. I really want to adopt a dog, but I own three pet chickens I am very attached to. I worry that no matter how careful I am, any dog I adopt is going to eventually get loose and eat my chickens. Do you think dog and chicken can coexist in a small backyard? I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions.

Here's some background on our situation. Our yard is a small, fenced lot (less than .25 acres). My chickens have a good size run, but frequently free-range the backyard when I am around to watch them. The dog I am looking to adopt is a 2 year old beagle. My husband (also very attached to the chickens) tells me to adopt a cat instead, just to be safe. I like cats but I LOVE dogs. Can a dog be trained to tolerate chickens?
Yes, It can be done. We have always had dogs and chickens and only had one that was a problem and he eventually came around, too. The best way I have found is to keep the chickens penned when we brought a new dog home. Our current dog is a young husky/shepherd. When I brought her home I put her on a leash and took with me every time I went to the chicken pen. When she saw the chickens up close she naturally got excited. I would jerk her leash and used my best uh uh NO tone of voice. After several days she quit getting excited and after a week she was good enough I let the chickens out of the pen with no problem though I kept an eye on her. Now they are fine and even with two dogs - no problems. They protect the chickens from other predators--we live in the country.

Yes! I have 2 large dogs, a cat, a pigeon and 5 hens whom all live peacefully in our small yard. A dog can be taught to leave chickens alone, whether they are raised with them or trained at an older age. Breeds known to have more of a prey drive will be more of a challenge and you may want to avoid them. My dogs are great protection for the girls and even saved my pigeon from a hawk one day! I feel much safer with them than I would without. Coyotes, foxes, raccoons and skunks don't come around with the dogs here. Good luck whatever you choose to do!

Attachments

• D19BD2CD-1BCB-4A50-B22C-F5639068EFFD_1_105_c.jpeg
    D19BD2CD-1BCB-4A50-B22C-F5639068EFFD_1_105_c.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1609608057301.jpeg
    1609608057301.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 0

I have a cocker spaniel and she is wonderful with chickens. She loves the chicks and never chases any of them. They coexist in a small backyard peacefully. She will chase a bird or squirrel but that's it. I feel very lucky to have her. I got her as a puppy and has been around chickens and chicks her whole life inside and outside. Good luck!

I have a chocolate lab who has a dog door to our large back yard. He goes in and out that dog door as he wishes, day and night. My chickens free range in that back yard. My cat, who believes the lab is HIS puppy also uses the dog door to the back yard. Also have another cat who is terrified of being outside.
For some reason my lab despises the Great-tailed Grackles (noisy, troublesome, songbird/hummingbird killers) and chases them out of the yard. (He saw me chase them one day so now he decided it’s his job.) BUT he leaves all other birds alone. There are oodles of doves around here but he doesn’t chase them. Or the chickens. In fact, he and my cat do a great job of guarding them! No stray dogs or other animals are allowed anywhere near the yard. We also have lots of Red-tailed hawks and other sky predators. They sometimes even perch on the fence! But leave the area when they see me or my dog. (There is lots of protection in the yard such as dense bushes, trees, places to hide.)🤞
But I have to say that my dog and I are very close and he is very well trained. Except he loves chicken feed, ugh. I believe that all dogs are pack hunters. Predators! But they are also pack animals. Whoever is a pack member will be protected. That being said I believe it depends on the personality of the dog and their training that would be a determining factor.
*** it depends on the dog ***

Back
Top Bottom