can a dog guard chickens?

Your neighbor owes you for your birds, and is responsible for keeping his dog out of your yard. Fencing!
This varies based on jurisdiction. Some states are Fence-IN, some are Fence-Out.

Fences absolutely are the best solution. Fencing is much cheaper than getting in a feud with a neighbor.

You need a BB gun so you can shoot the dog in the butt next time he comes (LOL).

This is a good way to end up with an animal cruelty charge. Many states allow you to kill a dog on property that's harassing livestock, but all require you to use ammunition that has a reasonable expectation of killing the animal. If you feel the need to shoot at a pet to scare it off - use a paintball gun - there's less likelihood of injuring it, and the owner will know it was getting into something it shouldn't have.

Last edited:
An electric fence is a bit pricey but easier in training than a dog. A guard dog takes a long time to properly train and an electric fence trains neighbors dogs in just one touch! Huge fan of electric poultry fence, stops all land predators and makes for easy moving to provide fresh forage every few weeks.

Point of lay birds vary in region for price. Here it's about $15-20 per bird. The range of price here is really due to POL being subjective and can mean 4 month birds that wont lay for months being $15 and $20 for a bird this time of year that has just started laying and folks thinning out flock for winter coop space.

Last edited:
I'm about to install an electric fence. Where did place the wire - at the bottom, middle or top of the fence? I ask because I not only have dogs to contend with but racoons, possums, coyotes, and recently, weasels.

I don't understand the question. The electric poultry netting comes as is, and individual wire fencing needs hot wires pretty close together to deter small varmits. Woven wire fencing needs hot wire on the top, and lower down to discourage digging. Look at premier1supplies.com for help. Mary

I'm about to install an electric fence. Where did place the wire - at the bottom, middle or top of the fence? I ask because I not only have dogs to contend with but racoons, possums, coyotes, and recently, weasels.
hi yer ncalchicken
forget the fence with that lot to cope with
get yourself a big gun
really glad i live here i only have two legged coyotes to deal with
and my staffy keeps them out
good luck and a merry christmas to you
thumbsup.gif

hi yer ncalchicken
forget the fence with that lot to cope with
get yourself a big gun
really glad i live here i only have two legged coyotes to deal with
and my staffy keeps them out
good luck and a merry christmas to you
thumbsup.gif
Guns are a big waste of time unless you're willing to sit out and watch the yard 24/7 (and then it's still a waste of time). Hot wire is on when you're asleep, it's on when you're away, and it's on when you're just not paying attention.

I run a single wire about 6-7 inches above the ground to prevent diggers (I roundup my fence lines periodically to keep debris from shorting this one out). I run another wire about 3 inches above the top of the fence, set about 3" away from the posts, and then another wire 3 inches higher than that, and another 3" out - basically the top of the fence curves out - so animals that try to climb it are climbing face first into the hotwire.

I've only had one problem since - and that was largely because a post rotted and the fence staples pulled out (and a coyote went underneath)

Get a Maremma Puppy and raise him with the flock. He'll protect them from instinct and requires no special training.
So the Maremma breed is proven. They use them a lot in Italy and Australia.

One Maremma - no more problems.

You'd have to google Maremma for more info. They are hard to find. I have a Maremma and He even keeps the Hawks at bay.

Farmers use them all the time. They are also a bit pricy. They are the only breed I know of that requires no special training other than raising them with a flock (of anything) at an early age.

A fox or coyote won't go near them. A male can weigh in at 150 Lbs.

They're extremely mellow too (unless something isn't quite right in "their turf"). With that said, they don't engage like a guard dog - they keep a distance between them and what they are driving off (which is really important too - no vet bills, and no hurt neighbors)

My neighbor has a Great Pyrenee female, no training nothing, but she is very protective for his poultry, If I disturb my hens after dark and they make noise, the fence is the only thing that keeps her from attacking me, the only downside is she will attack any strangers if they get close. and she barks a lot

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom