Can a goose hatch chicken eggs?

KatieAnnFrench

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
I have a 1-year old female pilgrim/emden goose mix (Lucy) who has been sitting on about 10 chicken eggs for 2 weeks now. It started when Lucy made a nest for her own eggs (unfertilized), and the hens started laying their (fertilized) eggs right next to her. Lucy took the hens eggs after they were laid and added them to her nest.

I candled the eggs last week and again today and saw that most of the embryos are growing! I'm just wondering what will happen when (fingers crossed) they hatch, and Lucy realizes they are not goslings, but little chicks! She has always been very friendly, she doesn't hiss at us at all when we come near her to replace her food and water dishes and the chickens are around her all day.

We made a make-shift incubator in case we need to bring the eggs inside. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and can share some tips. Thanks :)

Lucy is very capable of hatching out the chicks. She will not realize the chicks are not geese. She will treat them as her own goslings. The main problem is if you have water for her to swim in. She will encourage the chicks to get in the water and that will not work very well. You may have to take the chicks away from her after they hatch to protect the chicks.

I have a 1-year old female pilgrim/emden goose mix (Lucy) who has been sitting on about 10 chicken eggs for 2 weeks now. It started when Lucy made a nest for her own eggs (unfertilized), and the hens started laying their (fertilized) eggs right next to her. Lucy took the hens eggs after they were laid and added them to her nest.

I candled the eggs last week and again today and saw that most of the embryos are growing! I'm just wondering what will happen when (fingers crossed) they hatch, and Lucy realizes they are not goslings, but little chicks! She has always been very friendly, she doesn't hiss at us at all when we come near her to replace her food and water dishes and the chickens are around her all day.

We made a make-shift incubator in case we need to bring the eggs inside. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and can share some tips. Thanks :)

I had 10 chicken eggs under my African goose she killed 6! She had 4 left when I decided to take 3 out and put in incubator 5 days before they were to hatch , they all hatched! I left her 1 and She didn’t stop turning it and it died !

Back
Top Bottom