Can a Hen change the Egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blueicebird, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    My Hens, just under 1 yr old, have slowed down the egg process for winter. No biggie. But when I went out to the coop 4 days ago I found an odd egg. It was Pure White.

Let me explain. I have 8 Girls, 2 Barred rock- Rhode Island Red cross, 3 Tetra Tints, 1 Amerucauna, 1 Silkie and 1 Khaki Cambell Duck (and of course, puck my BR-RIR Roo and Brittany my Drake).

Before winter I was getting:
    LG White Duck egg from Duck
    2 MD Tan eggs from BR-RIR
    1 sm BLU Egg from Ameracuana
    1 sm Tan/ creamy Egg from Silkie
    2 LG Brown eggs from TT
    and recentally a tanish-brownish speckled egg I assumed was from the 3rd TT

So... WHO the HECK laid the White egg?!?

Unless Puck felt out of place from the girls, I didn't think the eggs could change color.
    I have 3 of these white eggs now, the second one had a pinkish tint.

As far as I know, no one is playing tricks on me. So my question is, can eggs change color after stop laying for a while?

If I can't find out whose laying, I am going to put up a spy camera one day. But this completely threw me off! It was pure white! o_O

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    their egg color can't change, it can get paler over the laying cycle though. maybe one of them wasn't laying until now. [​IMG]

3. pixie546

pixie546 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Leonardtown, MD
    This just happened to me today! I have 3 Buff Orps (lg brown/pink egg), one Phoenix (med white egg), 4 silkies, and 2 Bantam Cochins (sm tan egg) and 2 silkie roosters. To these ive added a silkie/Orpington cross (so cute)(sm brown egg) and an EE I hatched from one of my sisters blue eggs. I'm pretty familiar with who lays what so when a sm/med long brown egg appeared I knew it was the EE. She even gave me a double yolker !!

SO...... Imagine my surpise this am when I went to get the eggs and there is a small blue-green egg!!! It's where the EE lays, so I guess it's her! What the what!!!! :p Is such a thing even possible??!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by