Can a hen get broody without a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DementedHam, May 21, 2008.

1. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Can a hen get broody without a rooster around to mount them and such?

I know there is a thread somewhere but I've looked and I can't find it. I ask because I plan on giving away my roo and keeping only my hens. I would still like them to get broody because my cousin would be able to supply me with eggs. Any and all experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    YES, a hen can go broodie without a roo, and will sit on whatever you give her, golfballs/nonfertile eggs/duck eggs etc.... when thier CLOCK tells them it is time to sit, they will sit unless you break them of it, till they decide they have sat long enough or till something hatches

3. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I agree. I had a bantam who whould go broody every 5th week. I had to find a roo for her. She did hatch out some other breed of chicks for me and was an excellent mother.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Ours did twice in 1 year w/o a rooster, so I say heck yeah! I pull my gal off the nest every morning and close the coop until the evening to break her of it (assuming that's what you want), so we minimize the loss of laying time.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Becoming broody is a instink that mother nature provides....folks that would kill for a broody hen don't have one, while folks cuss their boody hens for always being broody.

You just gotta love those pretty hens.

bigzio

6. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Definitely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by