Can a hen lay 2 eggs a day?....I think mine did...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chiko, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I have 3 hens laying. A RIR, a Black Australorp, and a Barred rock. I have a SLW that should start laying any time also, and 2 younger hens that should start in October.

Anyway I have one dummy egg under my broody Japanese Bantam in the nest. Today when I got home from school I went to harvest the eggs from the broody nest(the bigger girls always kick the broody out and lay in there. sooo.....thats where I look for eggs)and there was 5....1 was a dummy and the other 4 were fresh...Could one hen have layed 2? The SLW might have laid one but it would have been her 1st one and it wasn't all misshaped or anything. They were all perfect cream-brown eggs..... [​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Some chickens can lay a perfect egg the first time. one of mine did, a white leghorn, but i have never had one do it again.[​IMG]

3. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    mine did [​IMG] It has been the EXACT same EVERY time. All of her eggs look the same!

Edit: It was just a little on the small side (all of them are)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Two of mine laid perfect eggs the first time and never looked back. I haven't gotten a strange egg from either of them.

5. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    All of mine laid perfect eggs the first time, and one has laid two eggs an hour apart, so both scenarios are possible for you.

6. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Alright. All of the first eggs I've gotten were very awkward eggs. Weird sizes, colors, textures, and shapes....I guess my hen laid her first egg!!! YEAH! 4 eggs a day now ^_^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by