Can a hen take care of as many chicks as she can hatch?

I would not push it either. In another 4 weeks in North Carolina you will have some pretty cold nights. The chicks will not be fully feathered out before they have to survive out from under Mama. I do believe, based on experience, that they can keep a lot of chicks warm under normal conditions, even more chicks than they can fully cover, but I think 15 is asking too much in late fall or winter in your climate. In the middle of the summer, I'd easily go with more than 15, and I have successfully done that in early fall with 15. But I would not try that many now, even with the little Serama chicks. It is a little too late in the season.

I had 20 CX chicks under a White Rock this past spring. She managed to keep them warm and the temps at night were still down in the 40s at night when they arrived. They all fit under her and later they would sit on her, beside her, and trade places underneath her.

I think they feather out quicker in an outside brooder with a broody hen also...just like a dog that stays outside all the time gets a thicker coat for winter than an inside dog does. Animals can adapt and that is simple biology too.

Okay thanks for the replies. Today I had another Cochin go broody so now there are lots of options.
smile.png

I really like "Beekissed" replies, and on this issue, I once again agree. From what I have witnessed, outdoor chicks do feather out quicker than brooder chicks. I also think free range birds tend to mature quicker than those kept in a coop.

I had a little OEGB hen that hatched only 4 chicks one year, though she raised a total of 18. It was quite a site to see her trying to cover them all when most of them were half her size at a few weeks old! I've never given mama hens with chicks a heat light and I've had some hatch eggs in January
hmm.png
Even with snow on the ground, the mamas will take their babies out in the yard. They just have to sit on them a bit more often/longer than they would if they hatched in July
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom