Can a mature bird change their gender to become a male?

Can a mature female bird change it's gender to a fertile male?

• No, sex change in birds is not possible

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Yes, they can change their outside appearance and characteristics to resemble a male, but are not f

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Yes, birds can change their gender and become fertile males.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Only in particular birds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chickengirl1223

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2019
South Africa
I am doing a project on one of my quail, who appears to have changed to become a male.
He/she is approximitely 6 months old and made the transition at 4-5 months after producing a number of eggs and sporting the obvious female feather pattern of jumbo couturnix quail.
Now, he/she has the clear breast (male feather pattern) and produces the white foam from his vent along with the swelling. This includes mounting the hens.
This curious transition happened after I removed the dominant male from the avarey.
I have done a lot of reaserch, but would like to hear the opinions of other people.

Birds are too advanced an animal to do this. It is impossible. There are hormonal imbalances that will cause a female to act like a rooster. This includes mounting and crowing. I had a Cream Legbar hen that actually did this. After a year it was culled due to aggressive behavior and it was no longer laying eggs. It was still, just a female. A hen. A confused one but still a hen.

I am doing a project on one of my quail, who appears to have changed to become a male.
He/she is approximitely 6 months old and made the transition at 4-5 months after producing a number of eggs and sporting the obvious female feather pattern of jumbo couturnix quail.
Now, he/she has the clear breast (male feather pattern) and produces the white foam from his vent along with the swelling. This includes mounting the hens.
This curious transition happened after I removed the dominant male from the avarey.
I have done a lot of reaserch, but would like to hear the opinions of other people.
your project sounds suspect.

Back
Top Bottom