Can a Muscovy set too much/often?

luvmychix

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 8, 2008
At the moment have 10 adults and 18 babies. I have one hen that seems to be a "setter only"? she set one clutch and hatched out 10 babies but after they hatched out, she don't want anything to do with them and two of my other hens took over being mom and the babies stay with the adopted mom(s). well, two weeks later she started setting another clutch (we have several nest boxes and while she is setting on one batch, the hens go lay on another box) so she just went and started setting on another clutch. The second clutch hatched out 8 more babies and the same thing happened and she didn't want them babies after so i took the second set of 8 and put them in a brooder and they hatched out 9 days ago and now this same hen is trying to set a third clutch, back to back. she is a great incubator but never want the babies after they hatch, only wants to hatch more? Never had this issue before.

I believe I would not let her sit unless you don't care that she is doing this. I had one of my Muscovy go broody close to 14 weeks ago she hatched Runners for me since I can't have another Muscovy drake [they just fight too much] Anyway she was a great mama and stayed with her ducklings for 10 weeks, Now she is broody again and laid an egg day before yesterday I took it away she cannot brood again this year. It's really hard on them. Plus I cannot have so many ducklings running around. If you take the eggs she won't like it but she will eventually get over it.

Well, I was thinking/hoping a different hen would set them this time. I wasn't expecting her to do it again so soon. Yes, I am wanting them to hatch the eggs trying to get more ripples like my male. I have the babies sold when I figure out what ones, if any I'll keep due to color and markings but waiting on them to grow some

Well, I was thinking/hoping a different hen would set them this time. I wasn't expecting her to do it again so soon. Yes, I am wanting them to hatch the eggs trying to get more ripples like my male. I have the babies sold when I figure out what ones, if any I'll keep due to color and markings but waiting on them to grow some
Then just make sure she comes out daily for eating, and bathing so she doesn't get too run down. My Muscovy is 12 yrs old so I am more concerned with her health since she is older.

Then just make sure she comes out daily for eating, and bathing so she doesn't get too run down. My Muscovy is 12 yrs old so I am more concerned with her health since she is older.
She is only 2 years old. I do make sure to give her food and water I place in the box with her a few times a day and sit with her a few minutes each time to make sure she is eating and drinking ok and I do see her hour usually in the hottest part of the day for a few minutes in the pool

I don't put food and water closer to them until the ducklings hatch. That way they have to come out. But if this is working for you then that is what you should do. It's just weird she doesn't want to raise them too.

Back
Top Bottom