Can a prolapsed vent prevent a hen from standing / walking?

Bri7

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2017
My 22 week old Wyandotte hen developed a prolapsed vent 3 days ago and stopped standing / walking She has not yet started laying and I don't think she's egg bound. I am following the recommendations posted, which seem to be working as the prolapse is shrinking (I tried pushing it back in but it keeps coming back out). She is not able to stand or walk. Can this be related to her vent or could there be something else going on?

She might be egg bound. That can sometimes cause a temporary paralysis. I am not an expert on prolapses, but this would be unusual. Egg binding can be common, but not paralysis. Could you post a picture of the vent area? Had she started laying before the prolapse? If so, you can place her in a dark room or covered cage for 16 hours overnight every day, to stop her from laying, giving the vent time to heal.

She hasn't started laying yet - neither have her siblings. I was able to digitally examine her and didn't feel any egg... I will post a picture asap

Has she ever been constipated or had pasty butt? Dehydration can cause egg binding or constipation. Lameness can be difficult to pin down. Mareks disease is something we sometimes jump to conclusions about, but is common in young chickens. Coccidiosis, dehydration, and vitamin deficiency can sometimes be causes of lameness. Getting her to take fluids is pretty important. Electrolytes and vitamins for chickens may help.

Marek was my first thought too. Lost a few pullets back in April / May but chalked it up to the unusually wet and cold Spring.
She's on Gastrolyte right now - never displayed pasty butt nor constipation before.

Here is how her vent looks today after soaking / Prep H / Honey.
There is tonus in her legs but her claws are folded in.
She is clucking a lot today. I hope it doesn't mean that she is suffering.

Attachments

• 20170701_123819.jpg
    20170701_123819.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom