Can a racoon open a barn door latch?

I keep my food barrels in the barn. I have those metal garbage cans holding my food. And those lids fit on very snugly. Every morning I find the lid off and the food broken into. I’ve tried bungee cords, heavy objects on the lid, sharp objects on the lid, tying the lid even tighter with baling twine. No matter what, if a raccoon is hungry and food, or chickens, are available for them to snatch, they will find a way

Been there. Done that!

When we lived in BC we did constant battle with the raccoons and the bears to keep our garbage intact until it got collected. The raccoons always worked through anything I could think of to slow them down. ...however long it took them. The bears just picked up the cans and threw them around until they opened. I spent more time sweeping and raking trash up from all over the street than I care to remember.

Have you considered a small shed you can lock up inside your barn?

Good luck!

I had Raccoons figure out all sorts of locks and contraptions to the point I made high friction siding screen doors that I have to lean into in order to open or close them. I also started using cinder or concrete blocks as doors because raccoons can not lift or move them. The Raccoons outsmarted me so I just over powered them. All the locks people are discussing and taking pictures of work just fine too.

This is a good reminder. We have a padlock, but we often just hook it without locking. I think it is unlikely a critter could get to the lock, turn it and get it out of the hole, then open the latch. And it is a pain to run back to get the key. But, we really should lock it.

Note in this picture the zip ties. They keep the clasp to allow exit from inside secured. to prevent accidentally locking a human in the run.

Attachments

• 20200714_064204.jpg
    20200714_064204.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 45
This is a good reminder. We have a padlock, but we often just hook it without locking. I think it is unlikely a critter could get to the lock, turn it and get it out of the hole, then open the latch. And it is a pain to run back to get the key. But, we really should lock it.

Note in this picture the zip ties. They keep the clasp to allow exit from inside secured. to prevent accidentally locking a human in the run.

You could keep the key in the lock or hanging on a nail nearby -- assuming it's only raccoons you need to keep out and not human beings. :)

I had Raccoons figure out all sorts of locks and contraptions to the point I made high friction siding screen doors that I have to lean into in order to open or close them. I also started using cinder or concrete blocks as doors because raccoons can not lift or move them. The Raccoons outsmarted me so I just over powered them. All the locks people are discussing and taking pictures of work just fine too.
Hmm for extra strength on the doors I'm not using I could just use a cinder block in bottom corner. I have plenty of those thanks for the idea!

Speaking of four footed pests, can anyone recognize this paw print? I have been keeping my feed on the patio- the chicken feed and snacks are in metal cans and are safe- so far. I have been keeping the dog food on the patio also in a plastic container- just because it was what I had. The lid broke and is just sitting on top of the container- not connected. Today, I saw the lid was off with a print of the possible culprit left on it and food scattered everywhere. Now I wonder if I have coons, possums cats or just dogs around the back door. Will set up a camera to catch them tonight but just curious if anyone can ID the print. My dogs are small- I don't think the print is either one of theirs.

Attachments

• patio food container.jpg
    patio food container.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom