Can a racoon open a barn door latch?

Five toed animals weasel, badger, mink, skunk, otter, bear, beaver or opossum. Dogs only have 4 toes (99.99% of the time, I'm sure somewhere there is a mutation somebody will point out to me).

Hard to judge size but looks like a weasel or mink to me. Possums have long skinny toes. Skunks have long skinny toes with long nails that normally also show in a print.

Just curious, has anyone ever had a raccoon to open a bolt snap? Carabiners seem to have taken their place in many instances, but it just seems to me that a bolt snap would be harder for a 'coon to open.

Just curious, has anyone ever had a raccoon to open a bolt snap? Carabiners seem to have taken their place in many instances, but it just seems to me that a bolt snap would be harder for a 'coon to open.

Many times. If I try to get both my girls out on a walk at the same time it never fails one undoes the other's leash and then I have to wait all day till the escapee gets hungry enough to climb down out of whatever tree she climbs up playing hide and seek from me.

cv9rmYsm.jpg

I know it barely looks like it but that's a harness so it stays on top and they can't get to it herself. I got the harnesses because I had hopes of walking them around at the same time and letting them play. I and them don't like getting just one out and leaving the other in the enclosure.

Many times. If I try to get both my girls out on a walk at the same time it never fails one undoes the other's leash and then I have to wait all day till the escapee gets hungry enough to climb down out of whatever tree she climbs up playing hide and seek from me.

cv9rmYsm.jpg

I know it barely looks like it but that's a harness so it stays on top and they can't get to it herself. I got the harnesses because I had hopes of walking them around at the same time and letting them play. I and them don't like getting just one out and leaving the other in the enclosure.
Well, that's that idea shot down in flames then :p.

Depends on the door really but I like this for most shed doors with a carabiner or a lock on it. Too much clipping, twisting, and everything has to be aligned just right for most any wild animal.

Z1B3syfo5oy.JPG

The gate on my chain link enclosure I keep the girls in has one of these with just a carabiner in it.

1715392_P_SC.jpg

Now if somebody wants to ship me a latch I can build a box and let the girls have a go at it for a test. I'll even post videos of it all.

I use a twist on carabiner thing which they can't undo because they don't have opposable thumbs (I think??). Apparently there's clanging every night from the door being tried but they can't undo it so it works for me! (I have quail in a hutch so my scenario could be different)

Been there. Done that!

When we lived in BC we did constant battle with the raccoons and the bears to keep our garbage intact until it got collected. The raccoons always worked through anything I could think of to slow them down. ...however long it took them. The bears just picked up the cans and threw them around until they opened. I spent more time sweeping and raking trash up from all over the street than I care to remember.

Have you considered a small shed you can lock up inside your barn?

Good luck!

Well now that’s just rude of them lol. I can’t imagine having to deal with bears. Good lord. Maybe I should stop complaining about the coons.

Shed could be an option! Believe it or not, they never bothered the horse grain. But they seem to go nuts over chicken feed and scratch grains

Back
Top Bottom