Can a rat fit though chicken wire?

NYboy

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
White plains
Will be building new bigger flight pen for my pigeons. The pen will be chain link dog run. If I wrap the bottom 4 feet in chicken wire, will that stop rats? Thank you alex

Nope
sad.png

The rats here got through hardware cloth which is waaaay tinier than chickenwire. They didnt actually get in. They reached through, grabbed the birds (quail) and then pulled their heads down through/out through the hardware cloth and ate what they could pull through.

Rats are awful!!

Rats can fit through spaces only one inch wide. For my pet rats, we use half inch wires for their cages. Definately pay for the good quality HW cloth. Be sure to nail it down tight, because they will test every boundry.

Quote:
Well, or at least they'll try to, depends on how skinny they are. I found one this winter that tried to squeeze it's way through my 1"x2" mesh that I have for the chicken yard. Apparently, it got about halfway through, got stuck and froze to death.

rats have been known to go through concrerte so all you can really do is your best and use a good rat control methed but rember to always change it up because rats aren't dumb they do learn

Years ago I had exotic birds in aviaries. I still had mice get in, not rats. Hardware cloth is the best you can do. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom