Can a rooster injure a hens back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by C sing, May 13, 2019.

1. C sing

C sing In the Brooder

May 13, 2019
    I have a silver laced Wyandotte rooster and nine hens. The hens just started laying in the past few days and he has been breeding them for about a month or so. All of the birds have been healthy and have had no health issues until a day ago when I noticed one of my Rhode island red hens laying down sorta odd. I went in the coop and checked her out and she did not want to move or stand. She is now isolated (with food and water) from the rooster and the other hens. She is quite light and I am wondering if the rooster has scared her away from the feeder because of breeding. Since the hens just started laying I have read that she might be broody to the point of not eating. Another theory is that the rooster (who is probably 7or8 pounds) could have injured the Red's back or legs because of his weight.
    Are these possible? PSX_20190506_193932.jpg

Chick-N-Fun and DobieLover like this.
  2. pwiker

pwiker Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Lancaster, PA
    A normal rooster will not harm a hen. There are those occasional roosters who will beat up on hens excessively instead of mating, but they are rare. Its also hard to imagine that this chicken was unable to get to the feed in between chasings. Finally, going broody a few days into laying is not likely.
    You are doing the right thing to isolate the hen. Based on your description, I couldnt even offer a guess as to what is wrong. Watch her in isolation and provide more information when you can.

C sing, Chick-N-Fun and jennaa1434 like this.
  3. the cluck juggler

the cluck juggler Incubator Addict

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    It's more likely she's sick. What's her symptoms? Can she stand? Does she eat? Does she have any physical injuries on her legs or other places? How does her crop feel, full or empty? What does her poop look like (if any)? etc.

You can try to feed her boiled eggs, and treats that she likes. Nutritional supplements such as vitamins in the water are also a good start.
    Keep her isolated, and monitor the other chickens closely to see if they also show any symptoms.

You can try posting in The emergency and illness forum. Many people who knows lots of stuff there.

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry you are joining under these circumstances. I agree with @the cluck juggler. She is likely sick. I have requested that this thread be moved to the ER Forum.
    Can you please provide pictures of your hen? Also how old is she, what do you feed your flock and does she have any other symptoms?

5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Good luck with your hen!

DobieLover likes this.
  6. C sing

C sing In the Brooder

May 13, 2019
    The hen seems to be getting stronger after two days isolated from the rest. She does eat but still does not walk. When she first went down her toes stayed curled but now she spreads the foot and raises up on her legs (not stand). She likes raw eggs better than cooked and seems to still maintain a healthy appetite. Grit has been provided for the flock and the general feed is non gmo organic since chicks.

7. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Check the crop first thing in the morning to be sure it's emptying properly. Have you checked her vent to ensure she's not eggbound?

8. C sing

C sing In the Brooder

May 13, 2019
    Hatched mid Dec 2018. Fed non gmo organic feed and crushed granite grit.

Attached Files:

9. Feathered_Texans

Feathered_Texans Songster

Sep 24, 2018
    Central Texas
    Be careful feeding her raw eggs, hopefully she’ll get healed, and if she does that might cause her to become an egg eater when she starts laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: