Can a standard size rooster mate with bantie? HELP!

lauraj2

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
just posted message in this section about my small flock, not sure if I am doing it right??? no replies yet?!!

It can though I imagine this would be hard on the little one...
hide.gif

Yeah, it is. My recently rehomed big EE cockeral became obsessed with my little silkie hen. She tried and tried to outrun him, but she finally gave up and would just squat the minute she saw him coming. LOL Even so, he still seemed like too much roo for her, not to mention the giant hunks of feathers he was ripping out, so he got a home with some girls more his size.

Bantams and full sized fowl can and do mate with each other. A lot of the time it is no big deal either way, but the more difference in size the more potential for problems. For example, Mayapooh mentioned her full sized rooster obsessed on a bantam hen and was causing her to be barebacked. If any rooster obsesses on any hen, he can cause her to be barebacked. There are several different factors involved, but one of them is that a bigger rooster is more likely to cause the problem than a rooster the same relative size. Not that there is a guarantee of problems, just that there is more potential. It doesn't matter if it is a EE rosoter on a bantam hen or a Jersey Giant on a EE hen, the potential is always there.

I had some BTW japs in with some LF hens and a cuckoo marans roo. I never saw them anywhere close to the roo, but one of them hatched out two beautiful mid size cuckoo sortof jap type pullets.

I KNOW NOTHING!!! I'm a total newbie to chickens...my chicks are a mix of 25 wks. old and the second batch is 10 wks. old. Here's what I have in each pen:

Pen #1- Very Tiny Buff Frizzle Roo "Teeny"(10 wks.) with standard size buff orpie girls"Just called the Big Girls"(25 wks) - My hopes are to have buff frizzle orpies!!!
fl.gif

As of right now my little guy is last in the pecking order of the coop and the girls totally run the show and boss him around but I'm hopeful that as he matures things will change.

Pen #2- One large Black beautiful sweet passive cochin roo"Barack"(10 wks.) and he's with two bantie black frizzle girls"Tessa"& "Tushie" (25 wks) and one Blue Giant cochin girl "Silvia"(10 wks) They all get along peaceful and very well. I actually think that my tiniest black banty frizzle girl rules the roost in there:yiipchick I've seen her actually peck and chase him around(very funny!) My goal with them is to produce of course blue standard size cochin babies and larger size black frizzles.

In pen#3- I have a very dominant white banty cochin frizzle roo"Fluffy"(25 wks). He is in with one giant cochin white smooth girl"Snowgirl"(10 wks) and one silver laced smooth cochin girl"Lacey"(10 wks) He is about the same size as the girls b/c he's a banty(a little on the med. size) but he is sooo ruff with the girls already. He really grabs them by their feathers and wrestles and tosses them around which totally freaks them out b/c they have no clue what his problem is right now! Anyway, this just started and I think as the girls get much larger quickly and also mature he will not be as dominant. Although he also chases my little black cockapoo dog around the side yard and won't quit until she runs back to the house!
D.gif
REALLY FUNNY!!! I HAVE TO GET A VIDEO OF IT!!! Anyway, in my last pen #4

I have one red banty smooth roo "William Wallace" with his precious love "Red Girl" who is also a red banty smooth hen and they LOVE each other and are just sooo cute together! William is so sweet that you can just pick him up and carry him around! Anyway, hope all of my rambling helps a little.
hu.gif
I guess like others have said, it totally depends on the individual chicks and their personalities just as much as thier size. Blessings, Keri

Back
Top Bottom