1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a weasel kill a goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by extraordinaryfowl, Sep 15, 2011.

1. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I have Cotton Patch Geese, which get 10-12 lbs at maturity. Can a weasel kill a goose this size? Also, what about young geese after they are out of the brooder, like when they are 2 lbs until they mature, are they at risk?

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Yes. Weasels can kill geese.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I believe they go for the neck don't think a goose could fight one off.

4. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Quote:I believe they go for the neck don't think a goose could fight one off.

Yes. Especially at night.

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Yes a Weasel is a very efficient predator and often take on prey much bigger than themselves. They quickly go for the neck for a fast kill then drag off their victims. If you have one around you need to try and get rid of it.

Pete [​IMG]

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've seen a film of a weasel killing an enormous hare. The weasel was about the size of the hare's back foot.

He just chased it and chased it, never stopping until the hare got tired and he caught it. Then he grabbed the neck and held on with his teeth in the neck. The hare bucked and fought, but the weasel simply held on until the hare was dead.

A goose wouldn't stand a chance. Geese can't run like a hare and they can't fight nearly as well as a hare. If they can't strike with their wings, they have no weapons and they can't strike at their own neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by