1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a Wyandotte have a single comb?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luvmychicknkids, Apr 6, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    While trying to identify my new babies, I am agreeing with ones who think one is a GLW. She doesn't look anything like my other GLW as a baby, however, after researching more I see some really don't have markings. Alright...all good. HOWEVER, she has a distinctly, although tiny, single comb. I know hatchery chicks are "low quality" and can have undesirable traits, but is it even possible for a Wyandotte to have a single comb as opposed to a rose comb?

Here she is for reference

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Some wyandottes will pop up with a single comb. While it is not a showable bird it is not really considered a horrible thing either, as the single combed birds can help to improve fertility in the rose combed flock.

Richard

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I agree with marans guy. I know that blisschick uses a few single combed BLRW in her flock to improve color and fertility. I know speckled hen may have a few single combed SLW from a hatchery.

Henry

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Cool, and thank you guys....then that settles it. [​IMG] I just had no clue if it was even possible. Obviously, none of my birds are show quality anyway. They are kiss, cuddle, and egg quality. [​IMG] This little lady has certainly captured my heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by