Can African and Chinese Geese get Along?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by WanderingVoices, Aug 1, 2016.

1. WanderingVoices

WanderingVoices New Egg

Aug 1, 2016
    For a little backstory, I'm helping two good friends of mine who are taking care of our deceased friend Ray's house. Ray had 2 geese, Albus and Priscilla. Priscilla was attacked and killed by a raccoon a few weeks ago. We want to get Albus a new friend, so he's not so lonely. The only problem is, we are not sure if he is a Chinese, or African goose. Do any of you know if Chinese and African geese get along well, or of any easy way to tell the difference between them? Much appreciated!
    Here are a few pictures of them from the back, Albus on the left, Priscilla on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a recent image taken of Albus
    [​IMG]

2. Almond goose

Almond goose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Iowa
    The two breeds are vary simulator but the African is build bigger than the Chinese. From looking at them I would guess Africans.
    now I would be careful when introducing a new bird especially a adult, because Africans and Chinese are know as the gard dogs of the goose world. But ill tell you a story so I had 2 Africans female and male they where a year old and I got these gosling at Bomgaars 2 Africans and 2 Saddlebacks I had them separate for 5 weeks and I walked them outside (them fallowing me) and the 2 older African always had a interest in these gosling and would fallow them as they where fallowing me. So one day I let my older geese spend time with them and they where all good with each other but the 2 Africans started to be more careful with them when I say this they where charging the cats and hissing at the dog. So I hope that might of helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by