Can all 12 actually ALL be ROOS?!?! (photos added)

Quote:
The definite boys are only going to my friend's farm. Not far at all, and I can visit.
smile.png
And followup when they crow or lay.
tongue2.gif
The rest will stay with me until they lay or crow. If they crow, they go to the farm!

Last edited:
Of the 3 SS you posted, I think only 1 is a for sure boy. I have a girl that looked like the first one that most are saying boy on. I thought she was a boy b/c she had the biggest comb of the group from earliest on. But now she's over 4 mos old and definitely a girl! Not saying I say yours is a girl for sure, but I think it may be a girl, not a definite boy at this point.
wink.png

Quote:
i have also noticed that ss can be hard to determin their sex the one with the large comb and isnt very red i am ify on but i will stick to my cockerel guess for now lol

If it's any consolation to you - A few months ago I posted photos of four araucana chicks I had and asked for people's opinion about roo vs. pullet. The general consensus was that I had at least two roos - and probably three. As it turned out there was one roo and three pullets. The one that so many were certain was a roo turned out to be a very beautiful pullet. It's just a guessing game at this point. Good luck!

Quote:
Since there are 4 SS, do you think the last 2 are pullets?

Oh sorry! I think I thought 3 and 4 were the same bird, different angles! LOL. THose are dinitely girls! #2 is a boy, #1 is iffy, but looks like my girl at that age.

Quote:
Since there are 4 SS, do you think the last 2 are pullets?

Oh sorry! I think I thought 3 and 4 were the same bird, different angles! LOL. Those are dinitely girls! #2 is a boy, #1 is iffy, but looks like my girl at that age.

Thank you for your help. It will be interesting to see if SS#1 crows or lays an egg. Either SS#1 0r SS#2 has already crowed once. But I am not sure which one!!! Should have banded that one when it happened, but I don't know which one it is now!

Ugh, I'm not going to guess..... Last year, I thought I knew how to separate my boys and had some folks coming to get boys......MMMMMMM on the day of pick up 2 of my "boys" laid egg.... I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen........Those orps can have big legs - girls included.....Glad the crowers will be nearby in case they do not crow.

I have been doing some research on temperature and found one Australian study about the temperature dependent sex ratio in a incubation and this research applies only to a brush turkey, but I'm thinking about trying to replicate with chickens to see if it works.... Here's the study....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1629050/

"Temperature significantly affected the number of male and females hatching from young (stage 1) eggs (figure 1; p=0.035; χ2-test: χ2=6.72, d.f.=2). More males hatched at 31 °C, more females at 36 °C, and the ratio was almost 1 : 1 at 34 °C. No sex bias was evident for older eggs (stages 2–4; figure 1)."

Since we have turkeys it might help increase the girls among them at any rate..

Here's hoping for girls...

Quote:
Nancy, it is nice to know even the girl orps can have big legs. These 3 BBS have HUGE hocks! The Lav Orp is diminutive in comparison. At least there are more pullets than I initially thought!

Back
Top Bottom