1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can all 6 of my mix breed chicken e rooster??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lauren Holden, May 4, 2017.

1. Lauren Holden

Lauren Holden New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Help , I inhareded six 4 month old chicken and now 2 months later 2 are crowing!! I already had a rooster before I got them . Now out of eight chickens I'm only sure one gen [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] is it possible that out of all six hatch chickens they all are roosters. I'm concerned for my one hens safety .

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It's always possible to have mostly Roos.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Lauren [​IMG] Welcome!

Sadly, yes, sometimes the rooster to hen hatch ratio is very unbalanced and it is not uncommon to hear of hatches with only one or two hens. Same with picking one day olds from a straight run bin, numbers can be heavily balanced to one gender and sadly, I think most of the time that gender is male.

If you would like opinions on the gender of your youngsters you could post some pictures on the Breed & Gender Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Lauren Holden

Lauren Holden New Egg

May 4, 2017
    I have 3 that look like this and they are all crowing [​IMG]

I also have three that look like this however they are not crowing [​IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by