can an egg be fertile if a room mates and lays the same day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshiha, Jun 29, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I want to incubate some eggs I got a rooster 2 days ago and I saw him mate except one hen today he mated her and she laid an hour after that is the egg fertile or do I have to wait tomorrow till the sperm goes in the shell she is very aggressive to him but it looks like he got her

(I might sound confusing I miss Sry)

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Best to wait a few days, at least.
    Start looking at blastoderm on yolks, when you break eggs for eating, to see if they are fertile.

The sperm does not go thru the shell.
    Here's good video to learn about egg formation and fertilization:
    Egg Formation Video

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Eggs are fertilised at the start of the formation process, roughly 25 hours before it's laid. Wait a few days and check the blastoderm, before collecting eggs for incubating. Good luck with your future hatch!

4. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Well my incubators is not working so I have a broody hens has 3 eggs under her but I just got a rooster and I want to put more eggs under not sure if there fertile I can't crack an egg and wait tomorrow eggs she has been sitting for 2 days now I don't want her to keep waiting days more how long do hens sit until she comes of eggs

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Most broodies will sit until the eggs hatch. We've had broodies sit even as we took the eggs away. Finally we relented and let them hatch some. In these cases they may have been sitting for up to a total of five weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by