Can an enviroment change cause a rooster to crow all the time?

4-HMomma

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2018
I recently brought home a new Swedish black roo to add to my flock (all hens). We were told that he was a quiet bird, only crowing 2-3times a day on average, a couple times in the morning, and to tell the ladies that it was time to come in. (And of course the odd predator warning.)

He crows non-stop. I've had frequent crowers before, but I'm not exaggerating when I say it's 60+ times a day. I expected there to be an adjustment period, but after a few days, we're about at wits end, and I'm afraid the neighbors are going to call us in. (We're allowed to have a roo where we are, but can still be fined if an animal on our property is deemed an inordinate nuisance.)

Has anyone else experienced this? Did your roo ever mellow out? How long did it take? Or was I just bamboozled into taking a noisy bird?

is he your only rooster? Or are there any other roosters he can hear in the neighborhood? Roosters will crow more when need to assert dominance over other roosters.

He's our only boy, and as far as I know, he's the only one in earshot. I've never heard any crowing from any of the neighbors.

He's stressed in the new environment.
How old are your hens and have they accepted him?
You may have been bamboozled or he didn't do that at his old place,
was he the only male there?
He may have been a subordinate and now is feeling his oats.

He's stressed in the new environment.
How old are your hens and have they accepted him?
You may have been bamboozled or he didn't do that at his old place,
was he the only male there?
He may have been a subordinate and now is feeling his oats.

All of these are possibilities. Right now he is claiming his new territory. Hopefully once he feels at home he will mellow out. Hopefully time will be the great healer. Good luck.

I recently brought home a new Swedish black roo to add to my flock (all hens). We were told that he was a quiet bird, only crowing 2-3times a day on average, a couple times in the morning, and to tell the ladies that it was time to come in. (And of course the odd predator warning.)...

Roosters mostly crow to lay claim to their territory and to warn competing roosters to keep their distance. Therefor it is very common for a rooster in a new environment to crow more or less continuously to help him better hold on to his new harem and fiefdom. The only thing that will really help keep a rooster quite is a big bad arsed rooster who has made believers of all of the other roosters in his flock and in making them believers he has knocked some sense into their bird brained heads. In other words the cock of the walk holds onto his place at the top of the pecking order through fear and intimidation which is how nature intended for roosters to act.

Here is a short video that demonstrates the necessity of a rooster crowing to maintain his place in the social structure of his flock. Please remember that those chickens in your back yard don't belong to you, they are the fee simple property of your rooster or lacking him your top hen. There are several thousand roosters on this farm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom