Can any Breed 'mix' with each other?

Rainydayz

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Hi,
I'm a new chickmom and started a coop for egg collection, and cannot find an answer to one important question. If I get a Rooster in with my mix of Pullets by accident (the silkie coming is a 50/50 chance) could he breed with any of my girls or would he need his own breed to fertilize? He would be the only Silkie. I have not seen Silkie crossed with a Buff or Barred Rock, so I was hoping if I have only him, there would be no chickies until I get a girl Silkie? We are just starting out, the chicks are almost 4 weeks, and I'm too nervous to hatch chicks.
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Connie

They can breed with any other type of chicken. I have seen silkies crossed with many other breeds I had some chicks that were Dutch Bantam mommy and Silkie daddy.

GREAT! I was also wondering the same thing as I have 24 hens and three different silkie roosters with only one female silkie pullet. I want her to go broody! and would love to have a mix of silkie and rhode island reds, columbians and red rocks if possible. Will see what happens this spring. Can a chicken go broody any time of the year??
Thanks Drae :)

I have rock hens (two) and only ameraucana roosters. I've been incubating the brown eggs from the rock hens, and I've had one hatch so far. It can't be anything OTHER than a mixed breed, since the only roosters I own are Ameraucana, and no one else in this neighborhood owns chickens at all. And Ameraucana hens lay green eggs, not brown.

And sure enough, I'd had them hatch. My favorite so far is a solid yellow chick with yellow feet (like a rock hen) but with tiny black dots forming an absolute PERFECT figure-8 on it's back. We've named it 8-ball as a result. :)

Back
Top Bottom