can any one tell me about their dutch hook bills ? or saxonese?

bluejeans

Songster
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
New Mexico
I recently ordered these two breeds of ducklings . i really only know about cayagu ducks because i have them yet that does not mean i can spell or pronounce their breed name corrctly
hu.gif

any way i would like to know how far the hook bills may travel to do their forging . my caygu ducklings and pilgrim and buff geese havent traveled very far from the house .. but of course they cant fly at all..

im not worried about them getting into some one place as their is several ,several hundreds of miles they can go to with out getting into any ones back yard .from our place .. but i would be concerned if they roosted over night some times and didnt show up the next morning.. i hhear you can trim some flight feathers but i wouldnt want to do that if they came back before night fall....

now i understand the saxonese are some what like cayagus and the geese i have never traveling to far from their barn yard is that right?

I recently ordered these two breeds of ducklings . i really only know about cayagu ducks because i have them yet that does not mean i can spell or pronounce their breed name corrctly
hu.gif

any way i would like to know how far the hook bills may travel to do their forging . my caygu ducklings and pilgrim and buff geese havent traveled very far from the house .. but of course they cant fly at all..

im not worried about them getting into some one place as their is several ,several hundreds of miles they can go to with out getting into any ones back yard .from our place .. but i would be concerned if they roosted over night some times and didnt show up the next morning.. i hhear you can trim some flight feathers but i wouldnt want to do that if they came back before night fall....

now i understand the saxonese are some what like cayagus and the geese i have never traveling to far from their barn yard is that right?
i suppose i shouldnt have used the word roosted as i suppose only one one domestic breed of duck actualy roosts up in trees .. so sorry about that

I believe Sweet Folly has hook bills (they are on my list of someday maybes) and I believe they are similar to runners in their (in)ability to fly. So I don't think they would be any more of a concern than most mallard-derived domestics that way.

I found out about them after I started with runners. I have been told that the drakes are much less aggressive than some other breeds' drakes, too.

My current approach to adding ducks to the flock (just about full right now) is adoption, so we have a buff drake and three buff girls, too.

And I am not a hair-splitter. You wrote "roost" but I got the idea. (Some folks notice those kinds of things, you are right. Funny how are brains all work so differently. Well, we all love our ducks anyway.)

thank you much for the information ..i am rather stupid about all the other breeds of ducks besides cayagu'a.. i wasnt even aware that runner ducks
had flight cpabilities.. i just recently found out kaki campbells egg laying ability came from runners..only because i recenty became interested in kaki campbells and ordered some of themm..

thanks agin

thank you much for the information ..i am rather stupid about all the other breeds of ducks besides cayagu'a.. i wasnt even aware that runner ducks
had flight cpabilities.. i just recently found out kaki campbells egg laying ability came from runners..only because i recenty became interested in kaki campbells and ordered some of themm..

thanks agin
from what i understand is that dutch hook bills-- left to forage on their own mostly with just the slightest of feeding at night are Lite enough weight wise,, to be able to fly .. But of course i dont know if their flight is for a few seconds or( wild )mallard like suspended flight for several miles..

any way i just caught what you said about (in) ability of runners to fly.. yet i still would be interested in learning about their foraging habbits and how far from your house they roam..

My runners are super duper foragers!

I did not do a scientific study, but I estimate that the slug population dropped 80 to 90 percent in the time I have had the runners, which is almost three years now. They eat slugs, squash beetles, japanese beetles, slug eggs, grubs and worms.

And they like dandelion and chickweed and other weeds.

I take them for walks around our almost an acre, through the woods and the gardens. Because of predators both day and night, I don't let them wander unattended. They have a Day Pen that is fenced top, bottom and sides for when I am not with them during the day.

And they lay just about year 'round.

Back
Top Bottom