Can any polish lovers help guess the gender

They are all so cute! Are they in a “polish only” flock or do they also have non-crested friends?😊
They are all so cute! Are they in a “polish only” flock or do they also have non-crested friends?😊
They are in a polish only flock at the moment, but I have some younger babies, 3 black rocks, 3 faverolles and 5 Rhode Island reds that I was thinking about mixing them with. The only problem is, I had a mixed flock before (polish and rescues) I let them all out to free range and a fox had my polish 😩 so it might be best to keep them separate 🤷‍♀️

Yeah I have a polish only flock!😊 Just cause my non-crested chickens bully them and I don’t like roosters to take advantage of their blindness. The only non-crested chickens that are allowed to live in with them are special needs chickens (like my two with crossbeak).😉 I don’t let mine free-range though.🤪 Too many!🤣 I’m sorry about your polish.😞

Yeah I have a polish only flock!😊 Just cause my non-crested chickens bully them and I don’t like roosters to take advantage of their blindness. The only non-crested chickens that are allowed to live in with them are special needs chickens (like my two with crossbeak).😉 I don’t let mine free-range though.🤪 Too many!🤣 I’m sorry about your polish.😞
I was lucky, I had a polish girl dotti who ended up being the boss, even the big girls wouldn’t take her on!! 🤣 she was such a character 😊 she used protect the other polish baby’s. I think I will keep them as a polish only flock, and no free ranging, I suppose with their Pom poms, they are an easy target for predators, Thank you for your help and advice 😊

I was lucky, I had a polish girl dotti who ended up being the boss, even the big girls wouldn’t take her on!! 🤣 she was such a character 😊 she used protect the other polish baby’s. I think I will keep them as a polish only flock, and no free ranging, I suppose with their Pom poms, they are an easy target for predators, Thank you for your help and advice 😊
You’re welcome! You are doing great so far in your polish raising adventure!😊

Rather than try and identify each bird, and I can't even tell how many you have, I'll give some tips from my experience.

It really helps to have both sexes as the comparison makes it way easier.

Before the obvious hackles/sickles/saddles/crowing/horns appear, to identity polish cockerels, you should look for the following:

• much bigger in size than any same aged pullets. They grow much faster from about 6 weeks onwards.
• a rangier body shape compared to the petite size and shape of pullets, with longer neck and legs
• much much thicker legs than pullets, really quite noticeably chunkier and with longer toes. Pullet legs are dainty little ballerinas.
• the crest which starts off dome shaped in all of them, starting to get longer and pointier feathers growing through that make it look messy rather than a smooth helmet shape. Similar to streamers in silkies.
• any redness or dark pink in the face. Wattles too if it's not bearded. Pullets stay very very pale pink, so anything darker than a marshmallow on the face points to a boy.
• bigger, wider nares.
• with frizzles, the crest feathers are more forward facing and pointier overall and they just look a lot spikier in the head and neck.

HTH

Rather than try and identify each bird, and I can't even tell how many you have, I'll give some tips from my experience.

It really helps to have both sexes as the comparison makes it way easier.

Before the obvious hackles/sickles/saddles/crowing/horns appear, to identity polish cockerels, you should look for the following:

• much bigger in size than any same aged pullets. They grow much faster from about 6 weeks onwards.
• a rangier body shape compared to the petite size and shape of pullets, with longer neck and legs
• much much thicker legs than pullets, really quite noticeably chunkier and with longer toes. Pullet legs are dainty little ballerinas.
• the crest which starts off dome shaped in all of them, starting to get longer and pointier feathers growing through that make it look messy rather than a smooth helmet shape. Similar to streamers in silkies.
• any redness or dark pink in the face. Wattles too if it's not bearded. Pullets stay very very pale pink, so anything darker than a marshmallow on the face points to a boy.
• bigger, wider nares.
• with frizzles, the crest feathers are more forward facing and pointier overall and they just look a lot spikier in the head and neck.

HTH
Thank you for taking the time to share this information with me 😁 I have saved this to my phone for when I am doing my inspections! So kind of you and really appreciated 😊

Back
Top Bottom