Can any predators kill a pot belly pig?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
We need to start keeping the pig house doors open at night for a few weeks... because i am trying to train them to go outside at night to use the bathroom..instead of inside their house in a litter box...(they do go potty outside during the daytime though... )
The litter box inside their house is just becoming too much work...
So..anyways, i need to train them to use the bathroom outside of their house at nighttime too....
(hope i'm making sense?)
The plan is to leave the pig house doors open all night long..so they can wander in and out to use the bathroom. And once they learn that...we can shut the doors again..and they can go outside through a pop door...
But my concern is predators...
They are in a sturdy pen... but it has no top to it... so anything can climb inside. (its about 6 ft tall)
We have: Minks/weasels, coyotes, foxes, coons, fisher cats in our area..
The coys dont come too close anymore though... but they are still around.
Will anything eat my piggies?
hit.gif

They are decent sized.. (a little bigger than cocker spaniel sized),and they are tough little things..i believe that if they are attacked that they will fight back... and Hammie does have tusks.... but i'm still worried...
Thanks for any help..

Last edited:
I think dogs are a pigs #1 predator. Unless you have wolves, a stray dog problem or possible coyotes, I wouldn't worry. My pots are in an open barn every night and we do have a coyote population here. They will grab a chicken now and then, but never bothered the pigs.
Good Luck on the potty training. Mine go outside to potty during the daytime but won't leave the barn at night. Unless we are out there with them. I don't know if it is limited vision or fear of predators...but they don't usually venture out at night.
What about changing their feeding time? Feed them early enough so they potty before going to bed.

Quote:
Thanks! Good idea! I'll try to feed them earlier..
See, what happend was.. these pigs used to live in the house with us... so they always had access to their litter box 24/7 and just used it whenever they wanted....
So when i put them outside i put the litter box out there too.. just in case they had to go at night..I was hoping to avoid a mess in their house..
But its not working that way...
th.gif

They are such PIGS!
lol.png

You know Wilbur is currently bunking with the chickens and ducks. It has been pretty hot lately so we haven't been shutting the coop door. Wilbur only appears to be relieving himself out behind the goat barn and the coop door being open doesn't give him access to the goat barn from the time I put him in at night, around 7ish til 8 am,..he doesn't poop in the coop or the covered run so it seems like he doesn't poop until he has access to his little spot. Don't know if it is just dumb luck, or he is good at refraining until his designated times like a dog. I actually never even would have realized this if you hadn't posed your question. We started working on Wilburs addition today, I think he is going to be just so excited to have his own spot and he will have access too his poopy spot from there too,..whooo hooo.

lol.png
Changing the feeding time and setting the litter box outside of their house might work. Good Luck!
The only time mine come out at night is when we are sitting out by a campfire.

Back
Top Bottom