1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone assist with finding a chick's actual ear canal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AC77, Apr 21, 2012.

1. AC77

AC77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    I have a 3-4 week old chick who is having an ear problem - consistently shaking head and balance seems affected also. No other respiratory symptoms, and is eating, drinking, and active. Occasional scratching of ear area but not excessive. Wanted to try treating for mites before I consider antibiotics for possible infection. Want to try olive oil as suggested on this site by so many, but no matter how much I look, I cannot see an actual opening in the ear, just a circular feathered area, and some bare skin beside it. Where is the opening to the ear canal? I just keep looking in her ear area! Want to help my poor chick! Thanks for any advice.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Watch this youtube...

3. AC77

AC77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    thank you! I was assuming it had to be in the circular feathered area since I know the bare skin is the ear lobe. I think the chick is just so small that there is no visible opening, yet. I'm going to check again, though. Thank you so much for that video!!!

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by