Can Anyone Give Me Any Ideas On A Way To Reproduce These Colors?

My jaw dropped when I saw those roos blisschick. They are beautiful. I especially like the first one. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Hi! I can't tell you *much* about the how or why, but I hatched a lot of pullets that color using a blue Ameraucana cock with [EE X (Lakenvelder x EE)] hens --- what the EE is is a mystery.

I'll see if I can find pics of the original hatchery Easter Eggers from IDEAL. I lucked out and got a pullet in the 'males added for warmth' in the order. She was clean-faced gray/blue with a darker head and some lacing and layed a delightful sky-blue egg.
Several generations later, I still had the sky-blue egg but couldn't get rid of the 'middle of the road comb' .
I hatched eggs all last winter (my blue-eggers with the blue Ameraucana cock) and those girls live at my pal Deb's place.
smile.png
She likes 'funny-colored' birds.
ps. You guys realy like that color? I had a flock of them and sent them away to make more room for my 'true Ameraucanas' , go figure...

Lisa

Thanks, everyone. I plan on trying to hatch out more of the silver this coming spring with my roo Jr. (not pictured). He's a silver duckwing. The barred roo is the son of Big Blue. I'm pretty sure Big Blue is the father of the girls pictured. Big Blue's father is a blue Naked Neck roo with barring on his head and saddle.

Stupid's Blog

I like my true Ameraucanas, but I do like that coloration, too. Hey, if Jody can raise both, why not? I think a girl like that would be something unusual to put in my laying flock, but I probably wouldn't breed EEs, per se-just not my area of interest. Some things I just like to have as eye candy.

Quote:
I *may* have a chick that is turning into the coloring that Bluesy is. She's going that way, but you can just never tell with EEs/Ameracaunas what color they will be until they get older. Currently she's only about 5 - 6 weeks. I love the color and I would love to be able to reproduce it myself.
smile.png

Quote:
Umm...that part I don't have the answer to (yet). I just know what the color is. I'll get back to you on that.

Edit....

I don't know why the call the markings 'duckwing'...I could not find the answer to that. In genetic terms, it is a bird with the genotype of 'golden' (e+/e+, S/s+ bzw. S/-) or 'silver' (e+/e+, S/S+ bzw. S/-). The only difference between the two is the silver and gold genes involved. Golden is Ss+ and Silver is SS.

e+ = Wild-type coloring. Female: breast is salmon brown and devoid of stippling, body is black and brown in stippled pattern. Males: black breast and abdomen; non-black hackle, saddle and wings.

S = Silver (and Red-Gold.) Inhibits red pigment, pheomelanin. The expression of silver is sometimes affected by hormonal levels and is considered to be incompletely dominant and highly influenced by modifying genes.

s = Gold. Wild-type coloring, recessive. Invokes red pigment.

If there is someone who reads this that has a better understanding than I do, it seems that Partridge is the base and it's the presence of either S or s+ that make the difference in color, changing the red to either gold or white on the hackles, saddle and wings.

Last edited:
Thank you Blisschick! I love Big Blue too. He's awesome, and the dun hen. Wow.

Of course, the purebred Ameraucanas...hmmm...They sure are purdy too! I have never seen any purebreds in my area, but they must be out there. I suppose I could ship some in. The funny thing, I am usually so much a purist. My horses are all registered and I am kind of a freak about breed standards when it comes to them. I don't know, I just like that strange color...

If you want to reproduce Bluesy try a Silver Ameraucana rooster (assuming you want to keep the blue/green egg color going). You'll have to find a breeder for those though.

If not, try a silver Leghorn rooster or a Silver Gray Dorking rooster. McMurray has both I believe. I know Ideal at least has Dorkings.

The background genetics on your hen will probably throw some crazy colored chicks, but you are likely to have a better chance of getting the color with one of those listed above.

Note that males and females of the silver color have very different looks, so you are not going to create a rooster that matches her coloring. The rooster of her coloring would look like the male in this picture (the hens are silver, not blue silver).

http://bantamhill.com/Large Fowl Blue Silver.htm

Back
Top Bottom