Can anyone guess what kind of babies these are?

kitkatbahr

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Merritt Island, FL
I know they are ducklings! LOL Do they look like Muscovies?

The daddy was a Muscovey, I am almost positive, and, the mama is, I believe, a Muscovey mix. I got her from a rescue group when she was about 6 weeks old. She looks Muscovey, but is pretty small compared to the other Muscovey hens I have seen around here.

Can anyone tell if the babies look pure? I was curious because the "twins" (yellow with brown spot on head) DON'T have the line by their eye. The little brown and yellow one has one line by his eye. What is "normal" for a muscovey baby? There are three total. Two yellow with brown spots on head, and one brown and yellow. If there were more in the beginning, I have no idea. She isn't in a pen, as she wasn't clipped and had the run of the yard so to speak. She was hanging with other Muscovies (sort of wild, but kind of tame) that are around the neighborhood. When she came home, she only had these three with her.

Thanks!

Kathy

Here are all three of them, with their rubber ducky (only for size comparison, I didn't leave it in with them, and their beanie baby cardinal)

newmuscoveyducklings021.jpg

Here is a better shot of the mostly brown one with the stripe by his eye, and one of the "twins" who doesn't have a stripe.

newmuscoveyducklings011.jpg

Yes those are 'scovies. They look just like mine! Chances are the mother is not a muscovy mix as 99% of the time a muscovy crossed with any other duck is infertile.

They sure are cute!

Thanks for the replies!

I also meant to add, in the second picture, who wants to bet the brown/yellow one is a Drakelet? Check out his feet compared to the yellow one next to him. Is it me, or do they look a bit bigger? I know he is in the front, but his feet do look a bit bigger. I guess time will tell. I was hoping for all three to be hens, but I might have a drake here...

What do you all think?

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom