Can anyone help me in identifing these two guys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SailorMars, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SailorMars

SailorMars New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Got these two guys from the local "botanica" from the suburbs of Miami. They were most likely destined to for a sacrifice, but they are very happy in my backyard and scratching for all the bugs they can eat in a huge mulch area I have. I have looked on the website trying to identify, but all i am getting is confused. Any help is appreciated. High res picts are on my picasa webpage.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113886290974617051725/Chickens?authuser=0&feat=directlink

P.S. They were both supposed ot be "layers" , but not certain on that yet. I have found two eggs so far in the yard, and they were not identical. They were both brown, but different shades. Does that mean that both hens are laying? Or will the same hen lay a different shade each day?

2. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    I have no Idea what they are but I will bump you to the top! Someone on here will know for sure!

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I had a hen that looked very much like the dark one. She was a cross of SLW and probably BR., but she had a double comb. The second likely has some cornish and is also a cross.

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    First could be a poorly penciled or mixed silver sussex, but the combo that smarsh listed is more likely as both breeds are far more common. No idea on #2. Both are probably mixes considering the circumstances.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They are mixed breed hens. From the looks of the combs, they should both be laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by