Can anyone help me with this?

jamacare

Hatching
Oct 8, 2019
Please see attached photo. It started a few weeks back with one bird, now there is a second. The dominant brown is the culprit and I am going to attempt to isolae the two effected birds today. The questions are:

1) How can I treat the effected area and should I?
2) How long should I keep the birds isolated and can I let them roost with the rest of the group at night?
3) How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

My understanding is that this can be bought on by a debt in protein in the diet and I had run out of black soldier fly larva 3-5 days before this started up. Is this true? Or is it something else or a combo?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jeff

IMG_4666 copy.jpg

This hen’s bottom is pretty enlarged. Is the other hen’s lower abdomen so enlarged? Of course, they appear larger because of the feather loss, which is most likely from feather picking. Overcrowding, too little protein, too much light stimulation in the coop, and certain more agressive breeds can be a reason.
Ascites or water belly, masses from internal laying, or large fat deposits can be reasons for the enlargement. Is the vent area clear of poo and scabbing? It is hard to see in the picture. Nustock Cream in the horse medicines aisle is very good to apply to help it heal and prevent pecking.

Eggcessive,

As of this morning, the second of the two (the one where the problem started second) that were exhibiting this problem looks much better and it's feathers have/are growing back and no back feathers are missing. In the photo posted, the area visible is devoid of feathers as they were plucked for protein, but it does not show the lower back feathers that are missing. The vent is pretty clear/clean though there are some dirty/dark feathers surrounding parts of it. I have isolated her. I assume I can clean that area with warm water and some soap?

FYI: I have a total of six (6) hens and they have the better part of 6000 sq ft to roam, scratch, and peck, so overcrowding is not likely the issue. The coop has three (3) nesting boxes and is 84" L x 36" W x 60" H. No artificial light in the coop, and the protein has been back up for about a week. i keep everything very clean and each gallon of water provided is blended with 2 Tbsp if organic ACV. Feed is 18% protein and 100% Organic (Non GMO). Approximately teo (2) cups of BFSL are fed daily, and all suitable veg scraps are provided as accumulated, with Cilantro also being fed fresh 3-4 days a week.

The hens having been consistently laying one (1) egg each per day since early December, the effected hen(s) as well.

I will get some Nutstock Cream, thanks for the rec! Can I use A&D ointment until I get the cream?

Thanks so much!

-Jeff

When the point regarding the coop being too brightly lit is made, is it referring to "daytime" indirect light, or artificial lighting at night?

So, the coop is on the side of the house that blocks the sun after noon-time AND I have the entire coop under a 12'x12' covering, so it never gets any direct sunlight. I do not use any artificial light, ever...

Back
Top Bottom