Can anyone help this sweet goose in CT?

Kalsti

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
This is a stretch, but I am putting this here on BC in the hope that someone can forward this to goose lovers in CT..... The poor thing needs help now. I will also post to the Duck forum.

It apparently has a mate also and they are having a very hard time in this winter freeze.
Thanks!!!
shared Shoreline Neighbors's photo.

25 minutes ago ·
  • Please share with FB friends in CT~ Poor thing.

This goose lives at Messerschmidt Pond in Westbrook all year round. It has its wings clipped, so he can't fly, but when you approach him he responds to the word "bird!"

Credit: Sarah

I might be able to care for this goose and its mate. I will need to arrange it. I would provide it a forever home in safe shelter. If you need to ask me anything just message me. also to confirm you got the message can you please message me. Thank you!

Twunker --Sara with "Shoreline Neighbors" is the person who posted about the geese at the lake....I have contacted Shoreline Neighbors to try to get them to let me know where the geese are specifically at the lake. I sure hope they will email me back. They are online also so you may be able to reach her there or at least someone?

Twunker I called the Mayor's office in Westbrook and the woman suggested calling her own personal vet. I called them and they suggested we call the Dog Warden and I have a number for him. They said he will go out and pick up the geese. I am just a little leary of calling the Dog Warden based on old experience with wardens and the pound animals that were euthanized. What do you think?

I dont either... One expert from wildlife rescue advised that if you could go to the pond now you may be able to spot them.... We got our goose by putting a soft blanket over her and her head-- holding the goose firmly by the side with the wings snug so they cant flap them. Then into a dog crate or large cardboard box that can be closed.... Do u have someone who could help you do that!? Would be good if a male friend or at least someone strong could capture them.

Twunker how about if I contact the warden and he goes out to meet you there? You both could then look for the geese and see which ones have their wings clipped???? Would that work?

Holding the goose gently but firmly with the head covered should work fine. Just to make sure that they are being held close to your body snugly. Could put them right into the cardboard box then and carry it if the box closed on top.....

Back
Top Bottom