Can anyone identify this "extra" from Holderreads?

galgo98

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
I ordered 10 deluxe runners from Holderreads this spring. I received 10 plus 1 "extra" the end of April. At first, I assumed that the extra was another runner. As a duckling, she stood upright like the runners, but as she got older, you could tell she was stretching to stay as tall as them. She was also not able to run as fast as them, so she flies to keep up now. She has always been a little different (much smarter) than the runners. You can see her process information and solve problems. The runners get to the fence, run into fence, back up, run into fence again, back up, run into fence again, ok fence is there, now what do we do. Whereas, "extra" sees 2' chicken wire fence, looks up at fence, looks side to side to see if she can go around fence, backs up and flies over fence (I need to clip her wing). I feel bad for her because she is often off by herself. I would like to get her some ducks she can relate to, but I'm not sure what breed she is. I've tried to contact Holderread's several times (after the shipping season) with no response. I had double checked under the lid of the shipping box and it just says 1 "extra". I wouldn't think Holderread's would have mixed ducks (I guess anything can happen!), but she doesn't resemble any of the breeds on their website. Can anybody identify my little "extra". Her name is Greg Louganis, she was the first in the pond and would constantly dive around underwater. We were convinced that this devilish little duckling was a boy....

6128800726_8e2fe07ba9.jpg

The little grey/blue one on the right is Greg.

6075807772_d5712a25d1.jpg

6131950180_fefc51932b.jpg

6131967798_76d25dc792.jpg

This is her pretending to be a runner duck.

Last edited:
Looks like a poorly bred runner to me. The head is the same. Except for the carriage, looks runner. Wouldn't think you would get that from Holderreads but I've never ordered from them. She's pretty. Just don't breed her. Maybe a mix but again, I would not think that that would be a possibility from them.

I'm not planning on incubating anytime soon... We wanted them for all of the slugs in the backyard and for table eggs. I was hoping we will be able to tell her eggs apart from the others based on size if we do decide to incubate. However, they just started laying this week and all the eggs so far are small!
hu.gif
And of course, the best looking drake prefers Greg over the "upright" girls...
th.gif

Since they carry Dusky Dutch Hookbills, I wonder if that is what it is? I looked at a few pictures and some of them are more hooked than your duck, but some of them aren't so much. They don't mention Blue Cayugas on their website. The shape and carriage are not right at all for a Runner and the Holderread's breed some really nice ducks on the whole. I've gotten quite a few from them and the quality is always good. The Cayugas I've known are more substantial than that duck.

Here's the Hookbill page on one of my favorite sites for duck info:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Hooks/BRKKroms.html

Back
Top Bottom