Can anyone offer any turtle help? Pics Added!

Okay, I took some pics last night if someone would help me with identification that would be great!

This is the box turtle. She is around 6 1/2 inches and not webbed footed like the other 2. She has orange on her face.

14735_january2010_004.jpg

14735_january2010_005.jpg

This is the aquatics that look alike. One is 8 inches and the other is around 6 1/2 inches.

14735_january2010_007.jpg

14735_january2010_009.jpg

14735_january2010_010.jpg

I work at a wildlife rehab center and we use tons of rubber totes, they work great! Just have to be careful with heat lamps and such that they don't touch the sides and melt them, but that's pretty much common sense stuff. We don't have filtration systems and change out the water at least every 3-4 days, and we actually have a tub that we clean and feed the turtles in, which helps to keep the water in their totes cleaner, which is an option if you have something rubber that is easier to clean. The aquatics have to have enough water that they can swim when they feed, and we give them fish, reptomin, and meal worms.

The non-aquatic we give a type of turtle "salad" which is lettuce, fruits and veggies, protein and delicious things. They have a more varied diet.

So, totes are definitely a plus, and feeding outside of their living area helps to keep the water in their area much cleaner! Hope this helps!

Quote:
Thank you that does help a lot! We did move them into totes last night and they do seem happier not cramped in the small aquarium! We didn't add the filtration either. Thought we would see how it goes. We put the bricks in so they could get up out of the water when they want/need to. Does the water need to be conditioned or anything?

We took them all out and offered "salad" to all of them. It consisted of romaine lettuce, strawberries, grapes and carrots. The box one really went after the strawberries, but the others just wanted to wander around. When we put them back, we put some turtle food in the water and they eventually ate it.

The water shouldn't need any conditioning, unless the tap water you get is really awful. I was reading the earlier posts and they should have a heat lamp on them, ideally, at least during day light hours, and the room kept in the 60's at night. Heat lamps also help keep the water a bit warmer, about 65-75 degrees is usually ideal, depending on the type of turtle. When you get one of those they'll probably want some sun bathing rocks, but bricks should be fine as long as they can get on and off them easily. Have fun with your turtles!

Quote:
Would something like a brooder lamp work for now? Like I said, we don't have any pet shops close and haven't had a chance to check online. If it would, what size bulb would I put in it without having a "reptile" one available? Our house is usually 70-75 degrees right now also. They seem to climb up on the bricks fine and sit there for a while every day.

Thank you so much for your help! I am feeling a little better about having them now that I am learning more. I guess it is my fault for not doing my research and relying on the person to be able to tell me what I needed to know. I am curious as to what type they are though! They really are fun creatures to have around!

That first turtle is NOT a box turtle. I'm not entire sure what species, but you might want to post on the Turtle Forum, I'm certain they have an identifying section for this kind of thing. You need to know what species it (I'm thinking she) is so you can provide proper care.

The other two look like Red Eared Sliders, which is about what I expected.
smile.png

Keep us updated!

A brooder lamp should be fine for now, during daylight hours, just as long as it doesn't get too hot! Sorry I can't be of more help with identifying the breeds, not much good at that yet!

Quote:
Really? I guess I will go over and see if someone over there knows what it is. She said when she bought it at Petco they said it was a redwood box turtle or something like that, but when she looked it up later, they don't even exist.
idunno.gif
I assume it is still a land turtle since it doesn't have webbed feet like the others?

Did I mention the person we got these from is soon to graduate college with a degree in Zoology?!
barnie.gif

Some aquatic turtles don't have heavily webbed feet, but that turt's body shape says aquatic to me. It might be a foreign terrapin though, so for sure, post on Turtle Forum with those pics and they'll help you figure out what it is.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom