Can Anyone Recommend A Definitive Book On Turkey's?

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
We are wanting to add to our small flock. We have chickens, ducks and geese and two turkey's. One Black Spanish and one Midget White. We have had many others, but had no idea that they would be so hard to raise. All of our other poultry/waterfowl have done wonderfully, but for a while it seemed like we just COULD NOT keep a turkey's body and soul together! I believe in my heart that turkeys have a death wish.....LOL None of them died from disease, only mishaps!

We love the heritage breeds and would like to raise a small flock of, perhaps, two different types. But, want to learn all we can about turkey care and management before we decide on which ones.

Anyone have a book to recommend? I perused the Storey's book, but it seemed geared towards the industrial birds and superficial at that.

Thanks,

Deb

Quote:
The best book I have seen over all on turkeys is "A guide to turkey management" By Stanley Marsden. It was written in the 30's but turkeys haven't changed since then. It covers hatching, feeding, ranging. Back when they raised turkeys on the range and not in turkey houses. There are copies still around but they can be hard to find and pricey. You can do a search on Barnes n Noble and amazon and find them. Also, you can view it online at the Cornell U. core historical Ag library.

http://chla.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=chla;idno=3317008#resultstoc

Steve in NC

Thanks for the reference to the free source, Steve. I feel quite lucky to have come upon your reply.

(Love my little turkeys - one little poult climbed aboard my head today while I was sitting on my chicken-watching bench. Another endearing thing was just seeing a different poult, same age, cuddling next to a big hen turkey not its mom trying to get under its wing and out of the cold breeze. Can't say enough about how I love them.)

You're welcome, there is ALOT of good info in there. We searched and searched and found a hard copy online, it was expensive but well worth it.

Steve in NC

Here's a good one if you like to hunt the wild turkey..

However this book has lots of pic's and details of the different wild species of turkey in it as well.
I really like this book. It doesn't tell how to raise them, but talks about there stages in there lives and many things about wild turkeys most don't know.

Wild Turkey: the complete hunter

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...BN=9780865730625&ourl=Wild-Turkey/Gary-Clancy

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom