Can anyone show me pics of their roosts?

I have an 8' x 8' shed that has a 2"x4" side to side and a poop board underneath. These shots show before it went all the way across.

The nest boxes are beneath and it works just great!! I'm going to have to add a couple of roosts when the chicks are bigger, and expect to have a higher level offset so no pooping on one another.

The roost runs to the left of the people door, about shoulder height. The nests are one atop the other just inside the door to the left.

14596_coop031109_010.jpg

14596_coop031109_005.jpg

Quote:
From what I've read the poop board just helps keep the litter cleaner for longer. It also allows one to scrape the poop from the board directly into a compost pit or barrel. Also, if one wants to put something under the roosts (food/water, door, etc...) there won't be chickens (or people!) getting pooped on.

I am running out of picture space on BYC (perhaps I'll have to become a Golden Feather Member!), but you can check out my perches in this entry in my blog from the other day:

http://lisahaschickens.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/acting-like-grown-ups/

We have 2 x 4s and 2 x 2s with rounded-off edges attached to the walls all over the place in the coop... anywhere from 24" to about 6' off the ground. I have 15 birds and they each have their favorite... some stay on the low ones or perch in front of the nesting boxes. Others like the high ones and a few go all the way up into the rafters of the coop about 7 feet up. I don't even know how they get up there, but they love it.

We also have a post out in our run and plan to add perches to make a "perch tree" like others have mentioned in this thread, but we haven't done it yet, so no pics.

here is a link to my first entries with pics of the perches right after they were built, with no chickens yet:

http://lisahaschickens.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/

I used the tree poles that you can get from nursery suppliers, treated or non treated.. take two 2 x6 and nail or screw the ends of the tree poles to the flat side of the 2x6, do this to both ends of the tree pole and you will have a "roost ladder" so the birds wont poo on each other at night.

Our 100 hens seem to enjoy this and we dont have poo coverd birds..
the tree poles are in two sizes,, 1 1/2 inch diam. or 2 1/2 inch diam.

the larger the pole the easier it is for them to hold on, and it helps them stay warmer in the cold season. Put them on a angle, just like you would set up a ladder to climb on. someday i will figure out how to post photos.

Some landscape companies have those poles (USED, broken tips etc.. and might give them away for FREE)

have fun
Jack

Here's what I decided to do, pretty simple. Just finished it all. The duck side is the same but without the roosts. Sooooo much nicer painted up. Now just the outside left (sigh)
17502_img_1039.jpg

17502_img_1038.jpg

Sorry about the sideways, don't know how to fix that.

I LOVE the outdoor roost tree. I'll be borrowing that idea as well. I also like the idea of using natural tree limbs. So many of you talk about how the birds like to roost in your trees. I know its not the same but maybe just the feel of the limb would make it feel more natural to them. LOL... they probably don't care one way or another as long as it makes them feel safe. Just me being foolishly romantic.

Back
Top Bottom