Can anyone tell me about magpie genetics?

jazzyfizzle

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Northern Ohio
Hello!

Can anyone tell me the basics of magpie genetics?
big_smile.png

Thank ya!!

Quote:
Well the magpie pattern is considered one of the toughest to perfect and get to breed through true. Even two good parents are likely to produce a lot of mismatched ducklings. I hate to say this but since you can usually spot a good pattern shortly after hatch the usual procedure is to produce lots of ducklings and cull heavily. If it is known how to get a good cap to be passed on to birds with good body markings, it is pretty much a breeder's secret. I have to disclose that I failed with them, maybe someone that was sucessful can tell you more. good luck!

Thank you for your reply! Is there anywhere I can go to get the specifics of colors when breeding? Such as blank x blank will produce- blank, or do not use these certain colors together, ect.?

For example, what would happen if you bred a magpie to a white?

thanks!

Does this mean magpie is a color of ducks and not a breed? I have two young ducks that I was told are magpie. These are my first two ducks and so far I know nothing beyond the fact that they love water!

31698_p1000630.jpg

Thank you for the link. I appreciate any educational material I can get, we are just learning. I would be happy to keep any non-conforming colors as pets. But would love to have some nice bibbed and magpies to breed later.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom