Can anyone tell me if this is angel wing?

5ducks

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
She is 6 weeks old. I just noticed it this morning. If it is angel wing should I wrap her wings up with vet wrap today?
ACF24962-7823-4622-9961-52A8B73A7A19.jpeg
0C9B9081-DE29-4A31-A98C-8EDCD0EFF22D.jpeg
B3475298-65CB-4111-A518-C0BAA5E1B4E8.jpeg

Looks like it might be the start of angel wing, in my limited experience. Others on BYC told me it sometimes corrects itself when the wing becomes strong enough to handle the heavy feathers.

I wrapped my girl's wing, but I didn't do it well. It helped the turning out of the wing, but her feathers grew in weird. Thankfully, the feathers grew in correctly when she molted.

I would say wrap it as a precaution. We did that with our biggest runner. She only had one side that looked like that. I tried the vet wrap and that was challenging. We ended up using a cut piece of pantyhose (from the upper thigh area) and it was like a tube I could just slip over her head. She only had to wear it for 3 days and it looked better. She doesn't have any sign of angel wing now. Hope this helps!

Ok thank you everyone for the replies. I will go ahead and wrap it up today and keep a close eye on her

Unless the wings droop and drag, angel wings aren't that much of a problem, from my past experience with domestic ducks and geese running around a park. Keeping wings wrapped with captive birds can be a bigger problem!

After they have grown up, if their wing or wings stick out too much, you can always clip them, but you must do so after each molt. I use to grab geese every year and clip their angel wings, just so they didn't stick out so much. The other geese didn't bully them or anything.

There was no point clipping the ducks' wings since they seemed to cause no problems at all; except sometimes with Muscovy ducks, since their wings are more likely to hang with the extra feather weight.

What pretty ducklings! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom