Can Australorps live with Silkies?

sunshine ducky

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Illinois
Hi everyone, I have a coop with one English Orpington pullet that is 14 weeks old and one 8 month old bearded Sikie hen. I purchased a black Australorp started pullet from cackle hatchery and it should ship on 12/8/2020. The Australorp will be approximately 15-22 weeks old. My question is it a good idea to integrate her with my silkie hen? I know Australorps are down to earth in personality but do they tend to ever be bully's to smaller breeds? Thank you for any help!

Last edited:
Never had Australorps, and we always have kept our breeds separate for the most part, so I am not much help. My advice would be try it and monitor closely until you are sure they are getting along fine and it isn't going to be an issue. My concern would be the silkie being bullied and not getting the proper nutrition due to being smaller, so I would watch closely if you do try it.

Never had Australorps, and we always have kept our breeds separate for the most part, so I am not much help. My advice would be try it and monitor closely until you are sure they are getting along fine and it isn't going to be an issue. My concern would be the silkie being bullied and not getting the proper nutrition due to being smaller, so I would watch closely if you do try it.
Thanks, I was also afraid of the Australorp potentially outcompeting the silkie for feed. I'll take it slow and do the whole introduction process, wish me luck. Any other advice is much appreciated!

We have a silkie rooster and a silkie hen together with 4 black australorp hens and they do fine. They’ve been together since hatching, if that makes a difference. The black australorps are extremely docile (though better flyers and tend to roam when they get out of the run). Personality wise they seem to be a good match. I’ve never noticed a competition for food, but I’m out there giving them snacks and replenishing pretty often.

We have a silkie rooster and a silkie hen together with 4 black australorp hens and they do fine. They’ve been together since hatching, if that makes a difference. The black australorps are extremely docile (though better flyers and tend to roam when they get out of the run). Personality wise they seem to be a good match. I’ve never noticed a competition for food, but I’m out there giving them snacks and replenishing pretty often.
Thank you for your experience, I know australorps are docile birds but I think i'm gonna separate my silkie into her own coop. I am getting another silkie hen this week and I have a smaller coop so they will live out the rest of their lives in there. The australorp I am getting is going to live with the orpington in my big coop. I just want to make sure all my hens are happy and not stressed!

Thank you for your experience, I know australorps are docile birds but I think i'm gonna separate my silkie into her own coop. I am getting another silkie hen this week and I have a smaller coop so they will live out the rest of their lives in there. The australorp I am getting is going to live with the orpington in my big coop. I just want to make sure all my hens are happy and not stressed!
My Barred Rocks ,Wyandotte’s , and Cochin are much larger than my little Sultan. They all get along very well with her. May I ask where you are getting your silkie? I am looking everywhere for 2 or 3. I know they will be available in the spring but I’m anxious!! I live in Florida so every month seems about the same. I think I will separate the silkies and 2 new sultans ( yet to buy) into their own little group. Antoinette ( our Sultan). can pick which group she wants to hang with🐓🐣

My Barred Rocks ,Wyandotte’s , and Cochin are much larger than my little Sultan. They all get along very well with her. May I ask where you are getting your silkie? I am looking everywhere for 2 or 3. I know they will be available in the spring but I’m anxious!! I live in Florida so every month seems about the same. I think I will separate the silkies and 2 new sultans ( yet to buy) into their own little group. Antoinette ( our Sultan). can pick which group she wants to hang with🐓🐣
Hi, I am getting a silkie hen from a friend I know. She has a large farm and is reducing her flock before the harsh winter rolls in. And I totally understand your situation. Silkies, especially pullets, are hard to come by. I recommend you visit the Poultry Show Central website and go to the breeder directory tab. Select the silkie link and it will show you many reputable breeders who sell silkies.

here is a link to the website: https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Silkies.html

I hope you find a pretty silkie hen!

Thanks! If my Cochin goes broody ( She hasn’t started laying yet) I may order some fertilized eggs. I’m new to all this but backyard chickens has given me so much information and more confidence. I also know there’s experts there to help me if I get stuck!

I have 6 black astralorps in with my 2 silkies. One I believe is a roo, on which I call him snickers. Anyways for the hen splash silkie, Scarlet who was older than my black australorps sugar, noodles, buttercup, poptart, black berry, and juicy fruit took them in and believe it or not Scarlet the little silkie is the head hen. However, the black astralorps like to pick on snickers. I am almost wondering if they are trying to get him to mate with them. Either way he refused to eat or drink or function without all the girls, and can't stand to be away. Lol hasn't crowed yet, but developing spurs, his feet a fluffier then Scarlet, and he is totally bigger then Scarlet who also raised him... So in short I havent had any real problems with both breeds. However, Scarlet practically raised my black australorps as she was 1 year and they were 5 weeks and almost the same size at that time.

Back
Top Bottom