Can bad eggs develop blood vessels?

LostInAppalachia

Chirping
May 17, 2022
I’m new to candling so maybe this is really obvious to some. I have a peafowl egg that’s due to hatch tomorrow. My peachicks usually pip on day 22 and hatch on day 23. My eggs are usually noisy on the 21st and 22 day. I know you aren’t supposed to candle this far along, but I’m worried this egg will blow and ruin the others. When candled, it has a well developed air space. On the other end, I can see veins and a few clumps of debris before I lose visibility. The debris jiggles. I don’t hear crying from inside the egg. Is this one a dud?

I wish I can take a picture but right now the only light strong enough to take a picture from the top is on my phone.

Peas normally start to pip at day 26 and are out by day 28. Good development is noticed with veining but the veining is gone when the development stops. If your chicks are hatching sooner then the temperature is too high. One half degree will make a days difference.
IMG_6247.JPG

Peas normally start to pip at day 26 and are out by day 28. Good development is noticed with veining but the veining is gone when the development stops. If your chicks are hatching sooner then the temperature is too high. One half degree will make a days difference.View attachment 3166576
That’s really helpful. Thank you. I have them at 100 and 70-75% humidity. Should I go lower?

Whoa, you keep the humidity pretty low. One of my guys shrink wrapped before so I’m careful to keep them in the 70s. Maybe humidity depends on your climate? I live in a temperate rainforest, however, do we generally stay pretty humid.

Location, location, location. To truly know what your humidity should be set at you need to weigh the eggs before set and weekly to attain a 13 to 15% weight loss by hatching time.
I never do this because it feels a bit above my head, but since these last three eggs aren’t hatching I’m going to start. You are absolutely right!

I just wanted to update and say that the egg with the debris I was worried about pips today. The chicken side seems a bit soggy, but I can see her beak and she’s breathing. Good news after all. I’ll update you if she makes it.

Back
Top Bottom