Can Bantam Cochins, Silkie and Serama Hens all get along for the winter........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kbell, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    Got a question for the chicken peoples..... I have 2 Bantam Cochin hens, 2 Silkie hens and about 18 Serama hens, my question is will my 10 x 20 be big enough for all of the girls and will they all get along? Don't want any problems, wasn't sure if the Cochins or Silkies would hurt the smaller Seramas. I have some smaller cages that my husband built and I plan on using those for the guys. How much space does a Bantam Cochin and Silkie Roo need? Thanks for any advice you can give. We are scheduled to have our first frost and possible freeze tonight so I am trying to get everyone ready for the winter.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have had silkies and cochins but not seramas.

I have read however that seramas require heat over winter. Don't know about GA as y'all have mountains too (and the temperate zones).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. auburnkurls

auburnkurls Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Lakewood, WA
    I have a variety of breeds all together in my backyard and then they all sleep in a 10x10 section of the garage. There are no issues. I have Golden buffs, Marans, Welsummer, RIR, Salmon Faverolles, Ameracauna, Call Ducks, Mixed bantams, and Seramas. The only thing I do it restrain my 2 Serama's in a separate crate to keep my Serama rooster from my Bantam rooster.

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Do the Cochins and Silkies roost? If they don't the serama could have a safe place on a high roost as they are significantly smaller to get away from the Cochins and Silkies. A similar situation has worked like this for me. I would also have two watering stations and feeders until you are positive they all get along.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by