Can Bantams & Standard Chicks live in the same brooder?

Yes, I've done it. I wouldn't mix ages unless the older ones are the bantams, though. 'Cause THAT would be too much of a size difference.

I did watch very closely, though. The bantams - after a couple of days - learn how to scoot out of the way pretty quickly. And when they don't, it's just for a moment while somebody steps on 'em and keeps moving. They do get bowled over a lot when there's Chicks Running Wild sessions. Doesn't seem to harm 'em.

I kept mine together the first couple weeks and then picked out the smaller ones and separated but I didn't base it on bantam or standard just the size they were then and I have some Standard Polish Hens and Mutt Hens in with my batties that are full grown I will be moving the mutts but haven't gotten it done and I am keeping the polish in with them because they have an enclosed run and I free range my other standards.

I have had some trampled, but I think they were weak to begin with due to genetics and poor hatching condtions.

Right now I have tiny Seramas, brooding with HUGE Sussex. The seramas snuggle under the big chicks just like they would their mothers. I'll separate them in about 10 days, but for now it's fine.

I always have and have never had a problem. I have standard and bantam size 3 month olds together in an indoor pen right now - very large brooder-like cage - and they are fine. I think it's because they grew up together and just learned to be good. I think the only time I wouldn't do this is with my Seramas after a certain age. They are just too little in general always to be with standards in a cage. Outside mine do fine together but a cage would worry me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom