can barred rock chicks be solid black?? and brown

millersdawn616

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
i have a barred rock chick whos is smaller then her sisters and has NO white dots on her like the others. she is the smallest and has a brown tint to the black on her wing feathers while the others have the obvious black and barred pattern starting... can pure barred rocks be brown or are they all have a lil brown to them pics wont really help becous the brown is like mixed in and hard to see but belive me its there!!!
THANKS

Last edited:
Well, barred rocks are, by definition, barred
big_smile.png
So I'm thinking it's something else, doesn't sound quite like a sex-link either.

According to wikipedia...

There are seven varieties of Plymouth Rock chickens: barred, blue, buff, Columbian, partridge, silver-penciled and white.

I don't know how complicated chicken genetics are, but maybe there are some variations in the grandparents?

Last edited:
You didn't mention how old they are....

That being said , my fully grown full blood Barred rocks do have tints of brown on their feathers after they have become 1 yr of age. I am not sure if its from the dirt baths or what it is but my older galls do have some feather tips with a little brownish color on the tips.

If they are chicks and they are Plymouth BARRED rocks they they will only be black with white dot on the head, as the feathers start to grow you will start to see the white baring.

You didn't mention what color parents you have for the chicks? That could help clear it up.

Quote:
she is 3 days old and the parents were just your run of the mill barred rocks. she is soild black with black beak blackish yellow feet. but her sisters from the same clutch are as you described. black body with a white dot yellow beaks and yellow feet sooooo i dont know im stuck:confused:

Back
Top Bottom