Can Barred Rock Chicks spend night in coop yet?

reddog1970

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Cape Cod
My Buff Orpington chicks are 5 1/2 weeks old and fully feathered. We would like to start letting them stay out in the coop at night. Our Barred Rock chicks are 4 1/2 weeks old and mostly feathered but not completely. The Barred Rocks scream uncontrollably if they are separated from the Orpingtons. So my question is, do you think the BR's would be ok in the coop overnight without heat. They have been in the brooder box without heat since Monday with a room temp. of about 73-74 and doing fine with that. The lows here at night outside are in the low to mid. 60's. Don't want to have them get chilled, so playing safe for tonight and brought them in. Here are a few pictures to help.

92268_dsc_0219.jpg

92268_dsc_0221.jpg

Just my opinion but first of all they may cry and raise a ruckis for a bit, but they will settle down once they are seperated. I do not personally send any chicks out to the coop until they are fully feathered. I think that 60's is too cold.

Just hang a brooder light out there for the younger ones to get under if they are cold. I think it is better not to separate the chicks if everyone gets along.

I agree it's better to keep them together - saves intergration issues later - but I feel that all of your chicks, including the BRs are ready to be in a draft free coop now; without a heat lamp. If they get a bit chilly they'll snuggle down with the other chicks or into the pine shavings.

They are definitely ready, all of them...could have been in the coop with no heat over a week ago actually. I get my chicks in April, when the temps still drop to below freezing. They go straight to the coop with a heat lamp until they are three to four weeks then the heat goes off. Never lost one. And it is still really chilly here at night in May

I think we will continue doing what we have done the last few days which is to put them out in the run/coop during the day and bring them in at night until the end of this week and then as long as it doesn't get any cooler then it is now, we will move them out. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom