Can bottle-fed calves drink store bought milk?

kryptoniteqhs

Rosecomb Rich
12 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Norco, CA
I just got a 2 and a half week old Jersey bull calf. I was dumb and didnt go and get the milk replacer early in the day like I was supposed to so when I got back from picking him up, TSC was obviously closed. He was so hungry, I went to the store and got some "organic, pasturized" milk.
hide.gif
It was the only once with out a bunch of additives...the only thing added was vitamin D. I, of course, grabbed the whole milk. I dont see how this could hurt him seeing as it did come from a cow, which he is. Although, I cant stop thinking about how I may have harmed him and feel really guilty.
barnie.gif
Ill get the good stuff tomorrow (hoping theyre open), but I didnt hurt him any did I?
fl.gif

Homogonized Vit D milk is perfectly fine. I don't do calves, but I have goats. Most of the people who use replacer to attempt to raise kids end up killing them or making them very sick. Thousands of goat kids are raised every year on Vit. D cows milk. Look around & see if you can find a mom&pop store that will cut you a deal on expired or soon-to-expire milk.

Madfarmer

What I always did when using the milk replacer was to mix it a little weak, Didn't seem to give them the scours as often. Good luck.

Ok....I heated it up.....from the quick change of milk....he wont get scours will he? He seems fine and loves it.....so much that he broke the nipple off and got it all over his face .....
lau.gif
hide.gif
... if you were there...you would laugh too.....hes all cleaned up now tho....

Quote:
ok...so even if hes 110% fine and healthy this can ONLY benefit him? Ive heard about it, but I thought it was only used for scours and such.

Back
Top Bottom