can button and couturnix quials live together????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jan 1, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    well can they??? the habitat is a 2ftX2ft bottom and 4 ft high. IDK if it will be temperary or permanat housing....most likely temperary, a few weeks until i get my cage back from my grandma [​IMG]

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    That would be cool. I wonder if you can?

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would be very scared the Coturnix would hurt or kill the buttons... They are soo much bigger... Personally I wouldnt even try but thats just my two cents.. Let us know how it goes though...

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I Have Done It Before And I Would Not Say It Is A Good Idea At All As Stated Before Buttons Are About Half The Size And Quail Being Game Birds Love To Be Mean

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Buttons+ Coturnix= Bad Mojo

Coturnix + Bob Whites= Very Bad Mojo

Buttons + Bob Whites= Masacre

Thats Todays Lesson In Basic Quail Math.... I'm Sure Someone Will Come Along And Say "but I Always Keep My Fluffy Foo-foo Bunnies And Man-eating Lions Togather..." But As A General Rule Its A Set Up For Bad Things.

6. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:I used to keep my Fluffy Foo-foo Bunnies with my Man Eating Lions, but one morning I woke up and... well... lesson learned.
    [​IMG]
    My buttons are inside. My cortunix are outside. I had them together in the brooder for about a week or two. Cortunix are a little too stinky to be inside, IMO.
    If your habitat is 2x2x4, how many quail were you planning on putting in there? I had to put 7 buttons in a habitat that size (when I had a cage malfunction) and they took almost all the feathers off my blueface male. My buttons seem to like their space. I try to keep them in pairs with plenty of room.

7. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    Coturnix stink?? No way!! Lololol! We have a batch of quail in the brooder right now....Peeeee Ewwwww! Hubby and I have an agreement...He cleans the brooder and I make the first barn trip at 5:15 in the morning. I'd rather lug a couple gallons of warm water and take care of chickens, quail and pigeons in the cold and dark than clean a brooder full of quail! Kristi

8. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen it done but it's probably not the best idea. In this case there were no females so the males didn't have anything to guard/prove

9. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    I wouldn't - from experience.
    I have an aviary and had a pair of Coturnix in there and went and bought a pair of Buttons.
    The Coturnix were on top of them in a flash - it looked like they were going to eat them alive.
    I grabbed the Coturnix and put them in a box and took them back to were I got them. They let me swap them for another female button.
    Also the Coturnix would get snappy at my Canaries, that share the aviary with them. The Buttons get along with them just fine and if anything, my canary chicks, when they can't fly that well hang out with them at the bottom of the aviary.

10. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Quote:Given a chance buttons will eat those chicks! Just a FYI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by