can calls fly?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdman123, Nov 9, 2010.

1. birdman123

birdman123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    if so how well?
    how often?
    do they migrate is you dont pinion(sp?)
    give me all the info on them flying
    ?
    please... and thanks..
    birdman123

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

well Im still new to ducks.. I have 4 calls and they have a very large fenced in area to free range during the day... i got them at a week old.. At about 3 months they were flying only a few feet off the ground for several feet at a time.... at 4 months I let them out of their pen before work and they Instantly flew across the yard (50 or so ft) and up over the 8 ft fence !!!!![​IMG] I freaked out...... I found them luckily , and a day later clipped just one of their wings... I dont think they would ever try to migrate being domestic.. we live @ a lake where they can hear lots -a- ducks and geese... ... they seem totally fine and content with the wing clipped.. they will grow back after they molt and need clipped again... I think u should only pinion when they are a day or so old (pain) ther are alot of call duck owners here that will be very helpful... Good Luck I [​IMG] my babies. !!!

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

ooops!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    When I brought my calls home, I clipped one wing.....after they got settled, I let them out when I was home to monitor. Now that they molted and have new feathers, they fly, but only from the pen to the yard and around the yard. (one of them is a little fattie and doesn't fly real well). They stick around just fine. The black one that I got this summer is an excellent flyer- flies at me and does the u-turn back to the "annex pool" and lands right in it- just like a pro.

I wouldn't be for pinioning, just because I figure them being able to fly gives them a quick escape, should they need to get away from something fast. Guess that depends on each situation. Dunno about migrating. They seem quite content to stick around but I live in the middle of a forest, so maybe they think that's all there is.

Personally, I like to watch them fly and they think they're bigshots, flying around the yard.

5. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Call can fly. Mine are not clipped and they don't go anywhere. It's nice for them to be able to get off the ground in case a predator comes around. If you buy adults it's a good idea to clip one wing so they can get used to their new environment. I had a friend bring home some calls, put them in the pen and off they flew! She didn't get them back. I have never had one fly out of the yard. They don't have the drive to migrate or anything like that. Keep water out for them, give them good food and a safe shelter at night and they will never want to leave.

6. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Quote:They sure do know who butters their bread! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by