Can chickens and a flightless pigeon live in harmony?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Kobold, May 31, 2011.

1. Kobold

Kobold New Egg

May 31, 2011
    West Virginia, USA
    Okay, I have a bird-themed situation in which chickens are a large factor, so I figured I'd join up here and ask those more experienced than myself. First, let me tell you a story. About two weeks ago, I go out to do a bit of light gardening, only to find a pigeon sitting on the back stoop. Well...not sitting so much as flopping around and bleeding. Turns out one of the neighborhood kids got overzealous with a BB gun. The poor bird caught one in the “wrist” of his right wing. I managed to patch him up and he's doing well, but the vet says he'll never fly again. I was completely unprepared to take on a pigeon...but there it is. I named him Quetzalcoatl (Qetzo for short) and have embraced my responsibility to keep him alive and well.

Now, it just so happens that my housemates decided to get chickens. A few days ago we acquired a coop and Qetzo currently resides there. We'll be picking up the young chicks in a few days, so the pigeon has some weeks before he has roommates. Specifically, two americaunas and two buff orpingtons, all hens.

Now that I've set the scene, here's where I need help. I did my homework and have a plan but I'm strictly amateur hour over here and need y'all to “check my math”. A pigeon can live happily off of chicken scratch and grit. A pigeon also needs someone to cozy up to during those cold winter nights. Bullying can be a factor when the chicks get big enough to do so, but this can be reduced quite a bit if the chickens know the pigeon from a very early age. Typically one would provide an elevated food tray and roost for the pigeon, but as Qetzo is flightless, that's not an option. I could, however build a separate “room” off to the side of the coop with an entrance that's just big enough for the pigeon to get through than I just might have a housing system that keeps every species happy...right?

Questions? Comments? Amusing limericks?

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    I would not put a flightless Pigeon with hens, they could easily kill her. If she could fly that's different. But hens can be relentless once they start picking.

3. Kobold

Kobold New Egg

May 31, 2011
    West Virginia, USA
    Oh darn. So be it. For roughly the same effort I can build a proper 30''X30''X40'' pigeon cage. I know pigeons are social and need someone to cuddle up to at night during the winter. What can I do to keep Qetzo un-frozen and sane?

4. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Pigeons are social animals and do better with company. Get another pigeon. So long as there isn't any drafts pigeons can stand some pretty cold temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by