Can chickens and goats co-exist?

Aug 30, 2020
I have chickens now, and a perfect spot to level out, and make a massive chicken coop.

ideally this winter I would like to level out that spot 1/2acre or so, build a 2 in 1 coop/goat hut. Obviously they would be divided for sleeping and egg laying purposes, but, for during the day I’d be looking to make the run/ranging area all in 1....fenced in and probably covered with some type of material.
Before I go all out and do this, will the chickens be ok with goats? Or am I asking for trouble?

My shed is set up so chickens can go into the goat area, and pasture, but goats can't go into the chicken area. Usually by chickens being able to go under, over, or through fencing. It took a few years of tweaking stuff to figure it all out. Goats are always looking for an opportunity, so they keep us on our toes. Occasionally I forget to lock a gate, and the goats clean me out of any remaining feed.

My shed is set up so chickens can go into the goat area, and pasture, but goats can't go into the chicken area. Usually by chickens being able to go under, over, or through fencing. It took a few years of tweaking stuff to figure it all out. Goats are always looking for an opportunity, so they keep us on our toes. Occasionally I forget to lock a gate, and the goats clean me out of any remaining feed.

seems like goats will demolish my chicken feed. How were you able to keep the goats out of the chicken area but allow chickens in the goat area?

seems like goats will demolish my chicken feed. How were you able to keep the goats out of the chicken area but allow chickens in the goat area?
You need to space your fencing correctly depending on the goats you have. The smaller the goats the smaller the opening between fence boards, or height off the ground. The idea is the chickens can go through the spacing, or under gates, while goats can't get through.

Last edited:
My current goats are mostly dairy breeds. The miniature breeds can be harder to contain because they can squeeze through things. Having goat kids can complicate stuff too. Goats will always keep you thinking.

Back
Top Bottom